gas meter clearance

Old 11-26-03, 03:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas meter clearance

We are having a small issue of contractors putting intakes, electrical boxes, ect., near the gas meter. My question is how far away from the regulater vent are they supposed to be and where is this information stated. I have looked in 2003 IBC and haven't found it yet and wanting some help. Is that a Building code or a local code?

Old 11-26-03, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Code

Id check building code right there where you are. ED

Old 11-26-03, 03:50 PM
??

I have looked for local and haven't found it and wonder if there is anything in any electrical, plumbing, or any other code that states anything about it..

Old 11-26-03, 07:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
My Two Cents

Hello: Curtis

Building codes vary widely. Best way to get the exact info wanted is to call or visit your local building and safety department in your town, city or area.

Another means to double verify the info you want or need and it is correct, is to call the gas utility company. Ask for the planning department.

Within that department are those whom would know or whom can send out a field rep to insure the clearance distance is to code and to their requirements. I deal with these types of issues daily but cannot quote you a set distance since it varies.

Some areas do not even have such codes or they are simply not enforced as they are in other areas. Usually, the distance is 5 feet from other utilities.

The meter should be 8 to 10 inches above ground level and the clearance between the back of the gas meter and the structure about 4-5 inches.

Reminder. Check with the gas utility and also with the city departments. Rules and codes can vary widely.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-26-03, 07:14 PM
Call City Hall and ask for Building Safety, and they will tell you what code is.

Old 11-27-03, 08:59 AM
At least 3 feet from any source of ignition will be the minimum requirement under National Gas Code or NFPA 54 which is the standard referrence for gas codes.

If it is closer than this now, you have issues to be raised.

Would be interested in what your local jurisdiction has to say.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: