Pilot Light

Old 11-30-03, 09:29 AM
troyq
Visiting Guest
Question Pilot Light

I have a heating and air unit. AC is electric and Heat is gas. I have to turn valve to pilot and hold down button while I light pilot. When I let go of button the pilot light goes out. I have held it for several mins. I replaced the themo couple and it is still doing the same thing. the flame is very strong but not all blue. it is a tall lazy flame I guess you could say. Do you think this is a valve problem or a problem with the gas line leading to the pilot or some other problem?

Thanks for you help.

Troy

Last edited by troyq; 11-30-03 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-03, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if the flame is on the thermocouple, heating it up, regardless of color it sounds like a bad valve. are there any wires going to the valve at the base of where the thermocouple attaches? sometimes there is a safety wired in that when open will prevent the thermocouple from signalling the valve.

Old 11-30-03, 12:31 PM
troyq
Visiting Guest
I believe you are right. I took the cover off of the valve and cleaned it from dust and dirt. When I put it back together the light finally lit for about ten seconds. Then something inside the valve clicked and the light went back out. I got it started again and turned valve to on position and the light went back out again. For safety reasons I am going to replace it anyway as it sounds unreliable. Thank you for your help.

God Bless,
Troy