Turning on gas furnace

Old 09-27-00, 01:42 PM
Visiting Guest
This is going to be an easy one for you guys but a difficult one for me. I just moved into a new place. It has gas heat. Old furnace.

My landlord is a complete ass and always says he know how to do something but never fixes it completely. So, I wanted to try and do this one on my own.

I need to turn on the furnace. I turned on the main gas valve at the furnace. Lit the pilot light. Turned the thermostat to the desired temp. The furnace made this god awful noise. I webnt doen to llok at the furnace. The pilot was on but nothing else came on.

Does it have to warm up or something?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-00, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Juke:

Godawful noise as in BOOM? Tell your landlord you want the furnace looked at tomorrow or you will call the local bldg. dept. and tell them you and the baby are being forced to live in a building with no heat. [borrow a baby if you have to] Better yet, call the gas company and tell them you think the furnace exploded and would they check it before you and the baby are hurt. Offhand, it sounds like you might have a bad gas valve. Thanks. John.

Old 09-27-00, 05:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hey Juke - I'll lend you my baby if you'll promise not to play "Furnace-Guy" again!

Old 09-27-00, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
If the burner did not come on, if it is an old furnace, Did you have to turn the gas on and then PRESS DOWN ON A SAFTY CONTROL?
Some of these old furnaces had standing pilot lights.
Older models may have a pilot that you have to press a button:
-on gas valve while turned to pilot
-gas valve knob
-or button on valve
-if pilot lit without pressing a button, there may be a button on the bottom of a gas valve or a baso switch (rectangle box) with a little button on it.
TURN THE POWER OFF AND TURN THE THERMOSTAT DOWN WHILE YOU ARE PRESSING THESE
THEN TURN BACK ON, IF IT MAKES A LOAD NOISE GET YOUR LANDLORD OUT TO FIX IT
GOOD LUCK