Furnice is spewing hot water

Old 12-01-03, 04:31 AM
pingisi
Visiting Guest
Question Furnice is spewing hot water

I appologise if this is not the correct forum for this question. My furnice started spweing hot water from an overflow all over my cellar. Everything heats fine, we have hot water and it has been cleaned regularly. It seems to only happen when I turn the heat up a bit in the house. I'm at a loss what would cause this. Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-03, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of pressures do you read on the pressure gauge at the boiler? Should be in the area of 12 - 15.

Old 12-01-03, 11:37 AM
pingisi
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding Mattison, the pressure at the time that the water comes out is between 15-20 and the temparature reading on that gauge reads 250+ degrees.

Old 12-01-03, 11:53 AM
Lightbulb boiler

Not sure just what you have there . But get that boiler temp down now for sure. Like 180o to 200o now now now. Check the limit or immersion control on this boiler now. The max temp on Most pressure safety relief valves is at 30 psi and 250o temp ED

Old 12-01-03, 03:14 PM
You have a problem on your hands that you do not want to let go too long. If you can't find out what is wrong by yourself today, get it looked at by a professional tomorrow. There is no high temp safety on the relief valve, only pressure. What that means is that you are building pressure by boiling water in a boiler that is not meant to boil water. You will do permanent damage if that goes on for more than a few hours. It sounds like a high limit is not opening up when it should. That is unusual but I have had it happen. You could turn up the thermostat and watch the pressure and temperature while staying away from the safety valve discharge. If there is boiling going on, you should hear some thumping going on inside the boiler. Turn it off at that point and note any temperature over 220.

Don't risk major damage to save a few bucks.

Ken

Old 12-02-03, 03:54 AM
pingisi
Visiting Guest
I do hear thumping going in after I shut down the furnace. Thanks for the information, I will get someone out here immediately.

Thanks so much.