setting correct humidity level

Old 12-03-03, 03:19 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
setting correct humidity level

Hi,
Would like some clarification on setting my humidifier settings. I have a Carrier Thermidistat, and I have the option of:
Fan-humiodity on when needed according to setting
Auto-humidity adjusts itsself according to outdoor temp
always on-Iset humidity level(max 45) and it always runs
I am confused. Is it best to set the level for 45, and leave it at that no matter what the outdoor temp? or is it better for the Thermidistat to control the humiodity according to outdoor temps.
For example right now it is -6 degrees F. outside and on auto hunidity the setting is for around 34, and the humidifier is not running because it is slightly more than 34 humidity in the house.
please help, which is the best way to set it?
Thanks
George

Old 12-03-03, 03:47 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basically it's a matter of personal comfort. Personally I run mine in auto on outdorr air temp and it's fine in this house. My other house is old and leaky so I have to run it in manual.

If you're comfy in auto "not waking up with dry mouth or getting static shock when you pet the cat" and the windows in your house are not condensating let it go.

Old 12-03-03, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
George:

Normally in cold weather you set the humidity below the level that windows will condense the moisture in the air.
The thermidistat control will do that for you automaticaly if you have the outdoor sensor.
Your house should be fairly comfortable at 34% RH @ -6 deg F.
Any more and your windows will start to sweat.

Old 12-04-03, 03:41 AM
G

Thanks,
I have it now set on Auto/Fan, which means it humiodifies according to outdoor temp, but if there is no heeat running, the humidifier will still run when the fan is on to get to that level. I have my fan in continuous running mode. The only thing I am thinking is will my air coming out of the register be colder when the fan is running with the humidifier on, and no heat coming through them? Thanks
George

Old 12-04-03, 03:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unless you're pulling in outdoor air it will be about room temp and also it will aid in keeping the house at even temps.

Old 12-04-03, 07:08 AM
G

Thanks,
I didn't mean should I keep the fan running all the time, but if I should have the humidifier running while only the fan is on, and heat is not coming out.
Or is it better just to leave it only in AUTO, and have the humidifier only on while the heat is running. Thanks
George

Old 12-04-03, 07:55 AM
Are you talking about the "On - Auto" switch on the T-Stat itself, or the humid stat?

Old 12-04-03, 11:00 AM
G

I am talking about the auto switch in the Thermidistat, but in the humidifier mode.....It adjusts the indoor humidity level according to the outside temp. Thanks
George

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: