Furnace will not run HELP Please

Old 10-06-00, 03:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

single Mom needs help. Turned furnace on, but it seems like the unit is not getting message to provide heat. Central air works fine, and I can turn fan on using manual switch on thermostat. Pilot light is lit on furnace. Just will not ignite. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, as it is going to get to the low 20's tonite, and I have my 9 year old grandson with me overnight. I might also mention that I had a new thermostat installed this past summer. Does this sound like a bad thermocoupler, if so please explain exactly what that is and if I can possibly replace it myself. If allowed you could email me at vcdc8648@aol.com

[This message has been edited by vcdc8648 (edited October 06, 2000).]

Old 10-07-00, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Mom;

Turn off the power to both the a/c and the furnace. Take the cover off the themostat and look for some screws that attach the thermostat to the wallplate. Remove the thermostat from the wallplate. Now, look at the wiring terminals which are lettered. Do you see Rc, Rh, Y. G, and W? Most likely you have a wire on Rc, Y, G and W. If so, is there a little jumper wire between Rc & Rh? If not, put a little piece of wire from Rc to Rh, put it all back together, turn all the power on and see if rhe heat works. If you don't have both Rc & Rh terminal, but only have a single R terminal; put a little jumper wire between R and W and see if the furnace now works. [turn the power back on but don't reassemble the thermostat] If it does, then the thermostat is bad. If it does not, then the problem is in the furnace. If the thermocouple in the furnace was bad, the pilot would not stay lit. Let us know what you find. Thanks. John.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: