2 stage heating/cooling thermostat

Old 12-05-03, 03:16 PM
2 stage heating/cooling thermostat

At my business one of our thermostats broke (a round honeywell) and our HVAC people replaced it with a White-Rodgers 2 stage heating/cooling thermostat which the part cost $150. What does a 2 stage thermostat do and did I really need one? The old honeywell had seemed to work just fine for the past 7 years.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-03, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
martin_30:

A two stage stat has two separate sets of contacts or mercury switches to allow your heating or cooling to be staged in two increments.
To need this your equipment would must have the ability to be operated in stages.
If you don't have two stage equipment then it is possible that they had it on the truck and used it instead of running for the right one.
Trades will charge for the time to pick-up parts and the extra cost of two stage might be offset by the labor saving.

Old 12-05-03, 06:30 PM
as i recall, those round honeywell t87's are single stage, never saw a 2 stage, i agree with gregh, but call and ask anyway, you may get a break.

Old 12-06-03, 10:59 AM
Exclamation tstat

At my business one of our thermostats broke (a round honeywell) and our HVAC people replaced it with a White-Rodgers 2 stage heating/cooling thermostat which the part
Id thing when you say our HVAC people . That they should know what you have there and carry the parts to fit it. Id ask why if they had a tstat it was a big $150. one . You mean thats all they work on all the time Two stage. I know my guys all have a T87 with base on the trucks all the time. ED