radiant floor heating

Old 12-09-03, 06:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radiant floor heating

I live in Buffalo, NY, in a 1300 Sqft ranch home. Currently using a boiler and baseboard heating system with two zones. I am in the process of doing alot of remodeling on the home and have considered upgrading to radiant floor heating. The home has all hardwood floors except ceramic tile in the bath and carpeting over the hardwood floors in the bedrooms. The boiler is approx. 50 years old and I know it is due very soon, this is why I am wondering if this would be the right timeframe to upgrade the entire system. I have heard good things about radiant floor heating(hot water or electric), but I need more info, pros and cons, and maybe other places to get good info. I am a very handy do it yourselfer and would most likely tackle this on my own. Also, there is no ceiling in the basement, so I have access to the entire first floor. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Old 12-10-03, 12:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Couple of web sites you may want to check out

www.radiantec.com
www.radiantcompany.com

They both sell the system and give you the info to DIY the system if you want.

I considered doing this one time since my ground floor has ceramic tile on a concrete foundation and in spite of the central heating the floor gets very chilly. I considered doing this at the same time I installed a new tankless water heater since the heater was recommended for use also in radiant heating applications with the correct valves. It proved to be difficult in the case of concrete since the pipes have to laid before the concrete is poured. However, for your home installation should be straightforward. From what I have seen PEX pipe or similar is used to pipe the hot water around the system.

The web sites listed have more info on implementing the system, cost etc. If you are a confident DIYer you should be able to do this project. You may need to buy some tools like crimping tools for the PEX pipe.

Don't have much info on electric radiant heating. If you already have a boiler, it would make sense to go with a hot water system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: