Why won't my burner stay on?

Old 12-11-03, 06:55 AM
qqqq
Visiting Guest
Why won't my burner stay on?

All,

I have an Amana 80 SSE Gas Furnace. Here is my problem. The heater will fire up and start blowing air. After a few min. or so, it will start blowing cool air, than back to hot air and the loop is endless. Rarely does it reach its target temp of 71 or whatever I have the tstat set to. Last night, I think it pretty much ran all night.

One thing I did notice two night ago was this. I would start the furnace up. The ignitor would glow bright orange and then the burner would light. As the ignitor then slowely went back to normal, the burner would go out. So the ignitor would glow bright orange again, light up, and then burn out again. Usually on the third try, the burner had about a 30% chance of staying lit. Whether it stood lit or not though, the furnace blower would usually kick on.

Any help would be appreciated,

Freezing in Denver

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-03, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st check the filter.

2nd If it has a flame sensor on it "should be on the left side of the burner assymbly" clean it off with some very fine steel wool or sand paper.

Old 12-11-03, 09:57 AM
qqqq
Visiting Guest
Funny because when it first started to act up, I found that my filter was out of it's track. It seemed to work ok for a half a day but started up again. I double checked that so all is well there. I will try to clean flame sensor if I can find it.

Old 12-11-03, 03:21 PM
looking at the burners, the ignitor should be on the right, and the sensor on the far left burner in an upflow configuration. does the circuit board have a diagnostic light? many do

Old 12-12-03, 07:27 AM
qqqq
Visiting Guest
It worked!

I took it out and from what I can tell, it looked clean but I wouldnt know the difference. I sanded it and now it workd fine!

Here is my question. I'm a bit confused now. How does this thing being dirty effect the furnace the way it does? The way I see it, if it is dirty, it would not sense the flame and the burner should turn off right...???

Thank you for your help,

Brian

Old 12-12-03, 04:55 PM
flame rectification

the way it works is that the board sends voltage to the flame sensor. the flame carries this voltage to the furnace heat exchanger, thus sending a DC current ( the flame changed it from ac to dc) to the case of the unit which is sensed by the board which is grounded to it. that is why proper grounding of the unit is so important. yours seems to have been intermittant, just "intermittantly dirty"

also the reason a ground wire (3rd wire usually non insulated) is so important is so that static electricity caused by motors (EMF) to ground are disappaited and do not confuse the board....

and the reason polarity is important to flame sensing units is that the nuetral must be properly established to ensure above mentioned DC flame rectification. it is really simple if you do it every day

Old 12-15-03, 08:24 AM
qqqq
Visiting Guest
hvac4u,

Now I understand. In fact, when placing the flame sensor back in, it did appear to lay on something metal thus making a ground.

Thank you for your input!

Brian