Pilot won't light

Old 10-09-00, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
New homeowner-total moron. Thought I smelled gas and flipped the emergency switch in August. Had it looked at and nothing was wrong. Now it's freezing and I've been trying to light the pilot to no avail. Following manufacturers' direction (Peerless, 4 years old) to re-light pilot but it's not happening. Help. Even the dogs are cold.

Old 10-09-00, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi sly:

Is the gas turned on? Easy to overlook. You're saying that you don't get any flame at the pilot when you turn the knob on the gas valve to pilot and press down while holding a match at the pilot burner? [on some gas valves, you press down on a separate knob] You have to have your match right at the pilot burner. Half an inch away won't work. If you're sure of these things, then it sounds like the pilot burner is dirty or corroded and needs cleaning or replacing. Let us know if you need further help. Thanks. John.

Old 10-09-00, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for your reply. When you say, ahhh, turn on the gas, could you be a little more specific (like where the hell is that thing)? Could the fix-it fellow have turned it off? All I touched was the big red emergency switch but could he have done something else? I'll check the documentation again. Thanks.

Old 10-09-00, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi SL:

Follow the gas pipe back from the furnace. There has to be a shutoff valve somewhere. It should be right near the furnace. Might have a square head with an arrow on top that shows flow or no flow. Also, make sure the emergency switch is in the normal position. Thanks. John.

Old 10-09-00, 05:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

The pilot is on: you were right, gas was turned off. You're great. One more tiny, little question: should the lever be all the way on? It's straight up when off; should it be straight down when on or is anywhere fine? I really appreciate your help.

Old 10-10-00, 03:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi SL:

It sounds like you're saying that when you found it off that the handle was perpendicular to the pipe? f so, you want the handle to be parallel to the pipe. I'm happy your house is warm. Thanks. John.

Old 10-10-00, 05:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for helping me out. We're warm and happy. The skinny mutt stayed on the end of the bed to sleep and not in my armpit. You're great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: