Gas heater won't start

Old 09-27-00, 03:22 PM
Visiting Guest
It's finally getting cool and I need some heat. The scenario is: the exhaust fan starts, the ignitor ignites, the pilot lights, then nothing. It appears that the ignitor is not unigniting therefore the propane is never released. If I remove a wire from one of the sensor, the ignitor and pilot goes out. Subsequent to reconnecting the wire to the sensor, the ignitor relights, the pilote relights, the ignitor goes off and the gas is released properly. Now to the question, is the ignitor bad or the control mechanism attached to the valve?

Old 09-27-00, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:ratlm3

Upon reading your furnace discription as you posted it, I am inclined to think there is a possible bad ground <a green wire> at the electronic module.

It's also possible the prover is bad. That's the element the pilot flame heats. Could just be a restricted pilot flame too.

Since the furnace has a forced draft vent fan <generation type three> there could be several other possibilties.

I would not suggest you attempt to correct this problem yourself. Overriding, connecting or disconnecting any sensor could cause more problems.

Without the proper testing equipment, knowledge and proceedure on this type electronic equipment, it's difficult to explain here in text only.

For your safety and piece of mind, it's best to have a qualified service agent locate the problem and correct it.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-28-00, 12:16 PM
Visiting Guest
If the gas won't stay on
-It is not sensing the flame
-dirty sensor
-poor ground near sensor (clean the burners)
-poor ground to module box
-reversed polarity, check that Wiring into furnace did not get reversed.
-recommend a GROUND WIRE be run to the furnace
-Could be a bad module box

RECOMMEND A CONTRACTOR CLEAN AND CHECK THE FURNACE.

Good Luck
Mr Foster

Old 10-10-00, 05:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I finally got around to having my heater guy come out. I turns out that the orifice (sp?) for the pilot light was slightly clogged thereby not letting the sensor get warm enough. The cost was the price of the service call.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: