need a gas valve

Old 10-09-00, 06:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hello, I have a problem the locals can not solve, I have an old floor furnace that needs a gas valve, it is a basic setup, the pilot will not lite due to a bad valve and the repair people say thy can not find a replacement, a gas valve is a gas valve, can you or anyone else find one? help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-00, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi HI:

There are a whole bunch of different kinds of gas valves in service. I'll bet you have a millivolt system. Is there any power to the furnace? Will if give you heat during a power outage? Does it have a blower fan? If there's no power to it and it will supply heat during a power outage, then it's a millivolt system. You may need a retrofit to a more modern valve, but it's hard for me to believe that it's not repairable. Do you have the brand & numbers from the old valve? Thanks. John.

Old 10-09-00, 08:13 PM
Visiting Guest
I used a Honeywell VS820A1336 on a temco floor furnace and its the same as empire or any of them...now this is for the gravity type, but then I have never run across a gas floor furnace with blower...oil yes...good luck...

Old 10-10-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

The furnace is an Empire,it is said to be 65 years old, it has no blower, I believe the repair man did say it was a millivolt type.
The valve is seperate from thermostate and the pressure valve, the valve does not have any numbers on it, to discribe it is called a fast light the thermocoupler,has 6 screws in the top, goes into the top of it beside the button you push to light the piolt light and the rod is beside that that turns it from off to piolt to on position. that is about all I know, I am not a heating and ac person, if it was a car I would be giving out the advise instead of getting it any help?

Old 10-11-00, 04:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi HI:

Wow- I hope I last at least 65 years! I think your only option is going to be a retrofit to a combination millivolt gas valve. A combination valve has all functions in one body. The valve R-12 guy mentioned should work but I think the number is VS8520A1336. It's a standard valve with an ambient temperature operating range of 0* to 175*. If it gets colder at your location then you want a VS8520M model which is rated at an ambient of -40* to 175*. Both of these valves use 2 thermocouples, so the pilot burner will probably also have to be replaced. If you want to see these valves to get an idea, got to http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/ and you can download the installation instructions. When you get there, type in one of these model #'s. Thanks. John.