Excessive Dust

Old 12-21-03, 07:17 AM
shamusandliam
Visiting Guest
Angry Excessive Dust

I have a gas heating system with forced hot air. I am getting excessive dust, enough to notice and dust every other day. Have lived in the house for 3 years. Have never had ducts cleaned, this is not a new issue. What could be the cause?

Old 12-21-03, 07:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How old is the house? All duct systems get dirty and can carry the dirt into the house. If you see dirt near the heat registars this could be the cause.

Is the problem worse in summer? If you leave windows and doors open a lot of dirt and dust can get in. A few years ago they developed a large parcel about 1/4 of a mile away. Since we don't have A/C, we had to do lots of additional cleaning.

Where is your furnace? Ours is in the garage which serves as my woodworking shop. (We haven't used it for parking for over 15 yrs. ) If your furnace is in a dirty environment, you may need to use a prefilter to clean up the supply air.

Those are some of the easier things to check. Another possibe culprit is your furnace. If the dirt looks like soot, your furnace may be going bad and combustion products are leaking into the heating ducts. Have you had it inspected?

Old 12-21-03, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Dust

How often do you put new filters in? should be every 30 to 90 days. Do you use good pleated ones? Are on the cheap filters your hand should get some oil on it if the filter is any good. Do you have a power humidifier on the furnace, have had them where they put lots of lime and calcium in the air for dust. Also there is a spray that you can get and put on a new filter that helps cut down on the dust ask for a Filter coat spray ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: