Intermittent gas furnace

Old 12-22-03, 11:23 AM
Jazz3D1
Visiting Guest
Intermittent gas furnace

I have a 5-year-old gas furnace that has just recently started acting up in the evenings (6pm 6am). The furnace works just fine all day, and then shuts down in the evening. I have replaced the thermostat and the same problem still occurs. The igniter (electric) comes on, you can hear and smell the gas, but the furnace does not light up. Then in the middle of the night or early the next morning, the furnace begins to work properly with no problem at all until the following evening.

Any suggestions before I call in the professionals?

Old 12-22-03, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is an odd one for sure. What kind of flue do you have? Any chance some type of animal is getting down there in the evening not letting the prover switch make thus not letting the furnace start up? But you say you can hear and smell gas? So I doubt that is it. Try cleaning or replacing the flame sensor.

Old 12-22-03, 01:33 PM
Jazz3D1
Visiting Guest
I'm not exactly certain what type of flue I have. I would need to double check to be certain, but it is unlikely that a animal is causing this problem.

Is the flame sensor a narrow metal pipe placed in front of the burner and wired to the system? I think I know exactly what your talking about, but I just want to be sure. Secondly, where is a common place to purchase this? (i.e. Lowe's, Home Depot, general hardware store, etc......?)

Old 12-22-03, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Exclamation Parts

Look in the phone book . A hvac company That sells your brand would have them or If you can buy at a Johnstone supply they have them or Grainger. ED

Old 12-22-03, 04:18 PM
see previous posts on flame sensing and flme rectification. doubt this is the problem, have hardly ever seen one go bad. does the circuit board have a diagnostic light? what brand is it?

Old 12-24-03, 02:41 AM
What is the temperature around the furnace at the times it does not work and the times it does. This may give the clue as to the problem.

The problem may be due to a poor contact that changes due to expansion and contraction due to temp changes. Possibly the control board and an electrical connection to one of the elements of the furnace may be responsible.

Another thing to check is to look for any condensation/moisture around the burners. This could be related to temp/humidity conditions and could cause the burners not to light.

Old 12-31-03, 09:03 AM
Jazz3D1
Visiting Guest
Intermittent Furnace Update

Sorry for the delay.....the holidays screwed everything up, and I have been living off the area heaters since the problem started.

Just to answer the call from the last two inputs, 1) I have not replaced the flame sensor, and the furnace continue to do the same thing, and 2) there is no condensation around the burners, and the furnace has been behaving the same regardless of temp.

Lastly, I have a RUDD Silhouette Gas Furnace, model number: UGDJ-10EAMER if that helps any.

I'm almost ready to call in the professionals, but willing to hear any suggestions that someone may have.

Please advise.....

Old 12-31-03, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb FURNACE

I think you should have a tech look at it and ring it out and also service it. I dont know why so many people run out and get a new tstat when the furnace dont work. The $$$ there could have just about paid for the service call. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: