No Flame

Old 12-29-03, 04:54 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
No Flame

Hello All,
I have a new lp gas furnace and it does not ignite,
Glow bar ignitor glows, I get 24 vac at gas valve but no flame.

could low lp in tank cause this problem not enough pressure or is there a way to check the honeywell vr8520 valve?

thanks in advance

Old 12-29-03, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
many of those units when converted to lp have low pressure switches at the gas valve, this however would break the 24 volts to the valve (unless it breaks the common side) get the gas co to check the pressure it is free. do you smell gas?

Old 12-29-03, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Gas furnace

You dont say what you have for a gas tank there now.Like if you have a 100lb tank you could run out of gas and the tank could be half full yet on a furnace. you need 11" W/C there for a Lp furnace to burn good ED

Old 12-29-03, 05:46 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, As for as the conversion to lp, the only thing that was done was a new spring in the valve and two new orifice's . I did not see the low voltage switches?? if any or would I see them?

The lp tank is a small one I believe it is a 50# ?? propane company is going to bring out a 120 # in January????

The gauge on tank shows roughly 25% maybe a little less.

Thanks

Old 12-29-03, 05:58 PM
sounds like a proper conversion.....the low gas psi switch is a new thing, may not be on all units yet. did this unit work before ...you say it is new. i am thinking gas pressure....the screw under the cap of the gas valve that was changed must be screwed in 11 full turns, i think, then adjusted to 11 in WC coming out of the valve. this is may be the problem. screwing the screw in increases the psi, but if you cannot measure the gas pressure, do not mess with it.

Old 12-29-03, 06:20 PM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
NO Flame..

I will get a manometer to check wc next week.

It was just installed today, First time to fire it up.

And lp tank is low...would'nt you know ..

Thanks for the info.

I just hope it is not a bad valve.. It is a Gibson furnace
kg6ra045 model.

Old 12-30-03, 06:14 AM
are you getting gas to the valve? if so, the pressure is probably off. if new, it should work when properly set up. rarely (but not never) is a part bad on start up.

Old 12-30-03, 09:26 AM
Lightbulb LP

Dont know for sure how cold it gets where you are and you dont say the Btu of the furnace. BUT that 50 lb tank there full would not work for the furnace long. Also I cant see how a 120 lb tank will cut it. There just is not enough LP for burn off to make the gas for it. You said 25% on a 50lb tank that lets us have about 12.5 lb. If it was warm to start it would work on a small torch is all. The colder it is out the bigger tank you need. Most homes have a 500 gal tank put in. That burner has to have 11" W/C all the time. Do you have anything else in the home on the LP? ED

Old 12-31-03, 07:35 AM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
No Flame

Thanks for the replys, The furnace is getting gas to the valve.
and the new tank that is getting delivered is a 120 gal. tank, I think I said a 120# tank. I also have a water heater and stove on gas line they are working.

I can remove the gas line from furnace and connect furnace to a full 20# tank to check furnace would that have enough pressure to test only?? I would assume a 20 # tank only has about 7 gal. + or- But I dont know if that would be enought for test purpose what do you experts think?

thanks agian

Old 12-31-03, 08:17 AM
Lightbulb LP Gas

Ill try again. There is no way that a 120 gal tank will feed a furnace,a water heater, and a cook stove if its say 50o or below out side.
If you try that 20lb tank on the furnace where is the regulator for it? So the furnace will get the 11" W/C and I dont think the 20 lb tank can burn off fast enough for the BTu the furnace needs.

The only way the small tanks will work for you.You have to turn them over so you get the LP out of them in a liquid. Then they have a elec heater that the liquid goes into and comes out the gas you need. Have had to do this for a laundry where could only get a 500 gal tank in and that was not big enough for the burn off even in summer.

ED

Old 12-31-03, 10:23 AM
appliancepresid
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed,

I got the picture now I will have to tell the propane comany the info.
They suggested that to me.

I will let you know what goes on next with them.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: