Gas Hydronic Heating Boiler Pilot Light frequently disappeared

Old 12-31-03, 03:01 AM
bfcs
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Hydronic Heating Boiler Pilot Light frequently disappeared

Hi Everybody,

I have a Natural Gas Hydronic Heating Boiler (Super - Hot MINI Gas Series Boiler MG100) http://www.alliedboilers.com/mini-gas.htm , which has been running for 15 years, this morning about AM 4:00, my wife felt very cold which woke her up, we find that the boiler has no flame, even the pilot light was out too. We than light up the pilot and it worked until am 7:00 and the boiler has no flame including the pilot was out too. I than light up the pilot again with the door of the furnace room opened, it than works for another 5 hours until pm 1:00, but my wife found that the heating upstair is warm slower thatn down stair compare with normal days. It than goes out again at pm 4:30, I was wonder if my boiler is time to get a replacement consider its age, but I than called a dealer of this boiler, I told them the situation and also told them that the pilot light tips seems to be rusted which I find that I am wrong after I took the pictures, then they told me that it could be the heat exchange which might be dripping water need to be replace instead of the need of buying a new boiler which I will have a hard time to afford especailly at the end of the year and Christmas time. But they did not call back.

I was wondering if it happens again, my family including a 3 years old kid and a 3 months old baby will be suffering in the cold, but I remember that doityourself.com has a community forums which has a lot of skillful people which may give me some hints on what's going on in my boiler and perhaps teach me to fix it tonight.

It looks like that the boiler was over heat and automatically shut off the gas as mentioned in the manual http://www.alliedboilers.com/PDF/MG%...s%20Manual.pdf , so I leave the furnace room door open and I also low down the temperature setting of the thermostate in 2 of the zones from 22 C to 15 C, the other 2 zones I leave them at 20 C (totally there are 4 zones) it seems to works longer. Can anymore give me an idea.

Also the heating of upstair's seem to be heat up much slow that downstair's compare to normal, I am just wondering will it be cause by the pipes for upstair does not have enough water in the system, but I am not sure which tap should be adding water and which one is for draining water. I have included the detailed pictures of my boiler in http://emailmax.com/bf332/myboiler/
Can anyone give me some guide lines and instructions base on the tap number of Picture 3, many thanks in advance.

I have also turned the auto switch for upstairs from "Auto" to "MAN Open" on Picture 10, will that make the hot water flow to upstairs in MAX speed? after 3 hours when upstairs has warmed up, I switch it back to "Auto", will it because that the auto switch works again after I turn to Man Open and back to "Auto"?

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-03, 06:31 AM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
seemms that it could be your thermocouple or your gas valve have you considered these and ruled them out yet

Old 12-31-03, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't open the picture for larger view.

I would replace the thermocouple, and give the pilot assemby a cleaning job.

What's your boiler pressure reading? You should read anywhere between 12, and 18 psi.

if you are below that, then yes you need add more water to the system. and also bleed air out of the system at all baseboard.

Old 12-31-03, 12:27 PM
bfcs
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by HVACELECT
seemms that it could be your thermocouple or your gas valve have you considered these and ruled them out yet
Hi HVACELECT,

Thanks for the reply, I have not consider thermocouple or gas valve, I left the door of furnace room open to get more air, the flame is still there up to now.

Base on my pictures on the web, can you show me which one is the thermocuple and gas valve.

Many Thanks

Bob

Old 12-31-03, 12:45 PM
bfcs
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jay11J
I can't open the picture for larger view.

I would replace the thermocouple, and give the pilot assemby a cleaning job.

What's your boiler pressure reading? You should read anywhere between 12, and 18 psi.

if you are below that, then yes you need add more water to the system. and also bleed air out of the system at all baseboard.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply, I have updated my web pages, you should now be able to see the bigger pictures, I have also added 2 pictures, the meter for PSI reading and temp on Picture 17, also the boiler spec on Picture 18.

Would I be able to replace the thermocouple, and give the pilot assemby a cleaning job? I have experience on fix my car, and kitchen appliances myself, but boiler is new to me, can you give me some tips?

My boiler pressure reading is 28 - 39 psi as show on Picture 17, it seems much higher than you've mentioned, is there something wrong with it?

If I would add more water, can you show me which tap to add water base on Picture 3 and what are the procedures?

Base on my Picture 3, can you show me which taps are for draining water if needed, and the procedures?

Many Thanks
Bob

Old 12-31-03, 01:50 PM
Exclamation Boiler

I think what has happen here is the boiler got cold on you when the pilot light went out. The auto fill for the water put water in now with the burner on you have to much. I think the pop off there on the boiler is about 30 psi. I went to the pictures and you do have a boiler co** there. That valve that you can put a hose on.I would try and get the psi down right now to what it has been all the years .For a two story around 18 to 20 psi dont know how good the gauge there is. Yes you can get a new thermocouple and put it in and clean the pilot. Take the T/C with you so you get the right one to fit or it might be what one it is in the parts book you have . You say 15 years on this boiler and no one has looked at it. Its new to you. I think you should call the service man and go over the boiler at this time with him and and he can show you how it all works.. The pictures are good but its hard to follow all the water and gas lines on them.

Jay if you double click on them they should come up bigger for you

ED

Old 01-01-04, 09:02 AM
Picture 12 you can see the TC it's the copper looking wire that is attached to the gas valve.

I'm with Ed though you really should get this thing serviced it appears to be rolling out on the flame and is burning the outside of the unit. The heat exchanger could be very dirty causing it to overheat.

P.S. I think there should be a new rule that everyone should post pictures as good as yours. Great job.

Old 01-14-10, 06:43 PM
MG100 pilot light

I had the exact same unit. The pilot light began giving problems several years ago. I don't know how many thermocouples I replaced. They seemed to work for a while, and then no heat. I checked the ventilation to the furnace, and put a louvered door on the furnace room to increase the airflow. Finally I dismantled the pilot light assembly for cleaning and found it to be quite badly coked up. After I cleaned the orfice with a wire brush I had no more pilot light problems. (don't use a drill bit or anything that could affect the size of the orfice) Hope this helps.