3 yr old Carrier heat pump and blown fuses

Old 01-01-04, 04:09 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
Question 3 yr old Carrier heat pump and blown fuses

The heat pump blew a fuse 4 weeks ago. I replaced the 5 amp fuse on the circuit board, and all was well until last night. Now, the fuse blows immediately when power is restored. I found a frayed wire at outside unit. I repaired that today, but it didn't solve the problem. I unplugged the motor to the inside unit, but the fuse still blew. I plan to call a HVAC tomorrow, but it'd be nice for my family to have some heat tonight. If you can suggest something else to try tonight, please do! Thanks, Richard

Old 01-01-04, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a heat pump, you should have "Aux" or "Emrg" heat swithc on your T-stat.

By switching it over that way, you can use your back up heat since your outdoor unit isn't working, and still have heat till you get service.

There can be a few things wrong with your unit if it's blowing the fuse on it. I would want to say a relay or contactor coil is bad.

Old 01-01-04, 07:17 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
Oh, if it were that simple! With the fuse blown, the emergency heat won't work either. But thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-01-04, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is the blow fuse happing on the unit outside, or the main air handler/furnace?

If it on the main furnace or air handler board, then your kinda out of luck till you get service.

Do you have an amp meter?

What's type of of system you have?
-Air Handler?

-Gas Forced air system?

Old 01-01-04, 07:47 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
I'm replacing the blown fuse on the inside of the unit in the attic. When the fuse blows, nothing works. It is an air handler. Yes, I have an amp meter. Thanks again!

Old 01-01-04, 08:17 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
That fuse protects the low voltage circuit. You probably have a short somewhere in the thermostat circuit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: