3 yr old Carrier heat pump and blown fuses

Old 01-01-04, 04:09 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
Question 3 yr old Carrier heat pump and blown fuses

The heat pump blew a fuse 4 weeks ago. I replaced the 5 amp fuse on the circuit board, and all was well until last night. Now, the fuse blows immediately when power is restored. I found a frayed wire at outside unit. I repaired that today, but it didn't solve the problem. I unplugged the motor to the inside unit, but the fuse still blew. I plan to call a HVAC tomorrow, but it'd be nice for my family to have some heat tonight. If you can suggest something else to try tonight, please do! Thanks, Richard

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-04, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a heat pump, you should have "Aux" or "Emrg" heat swithc on your T-stat.

By switching it over that way, you can use your back up heat since your outdoor unit isn't working, and still have heat till you get service.

There can be a few things wrong with your unit if it's blowing the fuse on it. I would want to say a relay or contactor coil is bad.

Old 01-01-04, 07:17 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
Oh, if it were that simple! With the fuse blown, the emergency heat won't work either. But thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-01-04, 07:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is the blow fuse happing on the unit outside, or the main air handler/furnace?

If it on the main furnace or air handler board, then your kinda out of luck till you get service.

Do you have an amp meter?

What's type of of system you have?
-Air Handler?

-Gas Forced air system?

Old 01-01-04, 07:47 PM
Richard
Visiting Guest
I'm replacing the blown fuse on the inside of the unit in the attic. When the fuse blows, nothing works. It is an air handler. Yes, I have an amp meter. Thanks again!

Old 01-01-04, 08:17 PM
rclhvac
Visiting Guest
That fuse protects the low voltage circuit. You probably have a short somewhere in the thermostat circuit