Central Air Freeze Up

Old 01-02-04, 08:19 AM
kwaits
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Central Air Freeze Up

What would cause a central air unit to freeze up? We just moved in to this house so I don't know much about the airconditioner other than it is a split unit. The fan is outside and the unit is hanging from the roof inside the garage.

Last night the it stopped blowing cold air through the vents. It still blew air through the vents but not cold air. We looked at the fan outside and the lines had ice on them. So, we turned the unit off and left it off. This morning we turned it back on and now it is blowing cold air again.

What is causing it to freeze up and how do I stop it from freezing up?

Kimberly

Old 01-02-04, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
generally 2 things cause a/c to freeze up...low airflow (dirty filter, coil or blower wheel) or low refrigerant charge

Old 01-02-04, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Like hvac4u said also. Down here if its a new home and they have to put freon in make sure they find the leak NOW . Dont run it till they get it fixed.You can let just the blower on ED

Old 01-02-04, 10:02 AM
kwaits
Visiting Guest
We checked the air filter and it is dirty. We are going to get a new one. We also had a repair company out. They told us we could keep running the air as is but it will keep freezing up, thawing out and freezing up again or spend three hundred dollars to try to fix the problem, but there would be no guarantees. Our other option would be to spend $4,000.00 for a brand new airconditioner.

The house and the airconditioner are only 10 years old!

How long do airconditioners normally last? Surely more than 10 years.

Old 01-02-04, 10:24 AM
Lightbulb A/C

Max on a AC is about 15 years if its made it to 10. First here what did they say was wrong with it . $300 for just gas ??????To high why didnt they put gas in it??????.Didnt they say WHY IT IS FREEZING UP? Is the A coil inside clean????. Is the blower fan blades clean????You should put new filters in every 30 to 90 days.

You dont say how big a unit you have are what it is heatpump furnace, electric heat or what. But just $ 4000 for a new A/C on your duct work and electric wire and lines. Did he say new A coil also? OH BOY. Look out this is Florida you know.

Id ask around there and find out who the other people use for A/C work. if you go for a new one get 3 bids for sure.

Id still like to know why it is freezing and NO I would not run it till the freeze and then turn it off. ED

where abouts in FL?

Old 01-03-04, 07:28 PM
kwaits
Visiting Guest
Ed, I am in Cape Coral, which is in Southwest Florida. The repair guy didn't say why it was freezing up. He just said he would try to fix the problem for $300 (with not guarantee or warranty), but he stressed that we really need a new unit (Lenox) which he could provide and install for $4,000.

I am going to get a couple more opinions. I will be sure to ask them the questions that you have asked me.

When I changed the filter I noticed that it was very dirty in the air intake shaft. I guess the people that used to live here never had it serviced or cleaned. I think it is due a really good cleaning.

What all gets cleaned when they come out to clean your a/c unit. Do they clean the "A coil", blower blades and other stuff that you are talking about?

Kimberly

Old 01-04-04, 08:46 AM
Lightbulb freezing up

If you want , a good shop vac and some time can do it if you want.
Look at the blades on the blower there they are cupped. Now if it ran with dirty filters the dirt builds up in them and they dont blow the air as they should. The rest of the dirt will go and build up on the wet A/C coil. This will stop the air over the coil and make it freeze up.If its all clean and good air then your just low on freon I would think. The out door unit you can clean the coil there with a hose. just wash it down.

This is what has to be clean not so much the duct work.A clean filter every 30 to 90 days.

What can I say: You do it or stand there and make sure they do it.
AND DOWN HERE STAY AND SEE THAT THEY DO IT. Thats like he didnt say why it iced up on you. Just gas and clean not $300.00 worth

Im across from you in west palm beach.

ED

Old 01-04-04, 11:29 AM
kwaits
Visiting Guest
Ed, when you say 'blower fan blades' you mean the fan that sits outside beside the house, right? If not, how do I get to the fan blades that you are talking about?

Also, where is the coil and how do I get to it? Is it outside or in the garage hanging from the roof?

By the way, the repair guy also said that I should not run the a/c lower than 72 degrees. He said they are not made to go any lower than that. However, my thermostat goes down to 60 degrees. Is what he said true?

Kimberly

Old 01-04-04, 12:07 PM
Lightbulb AC

The door like will come off the unit there inside the home.Could be they have screws in them. this is where you will find the coil and the blower that the fan blades should be looked at and cleaned and the coil there. Turn the unit off when you go to do this

The out door unit say one time a year just take a hose to the coil and wash it out when the unit is off.

Now If the AC is working right you can push it down to 60o and let it run. But it wont get there cause its just not big enough to pull the home down to that.

On AC units we try for say 78o 76o most of the time . Its the humidity we have to get out of the home for you to feel cool. Thats why if it cools off for a day or two it dont pay to open the home up it just lets the humidity back in. So you will try to push the tstat down to feel cool and as it get the humidity out of the home you will push the tstat up some and feel cool.
I dont think you would want to pay the cost of the AC unit or the cost for the power to get your home down to 60o. Hey if you just came down here your blood has to thin out then you will be cool
ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: