Propane tank location, question?

Old 01-02-04, 03:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane tank location, question?

I have a 1300 squarfoot row home that at the moment has Electric Heat .. I have been averaging $150 - $200 a month this winter in electric. That includes, heat,hot water, dishwasher and dryer for a family of 4.... The only good thing is I am in the middle of two units and the previous owner sunk $20,000.oo into new windows and doors thru out the place...The nice fold in double pane ones....

My question is this. I am thinking of placing a ventless propane gas heater in my basement when I finish it off. Hopefully this spring. Any rate. I was curious about propane bottle placement rules and regulations... I live in PA and I know some here can not answer this but try in your local laws so I can know what to expect...

I have a walkout basement. It comes out under my deck. I only have about 4 feet in the middle of the basement door and the basement window to place a tank. Is this ok. Someone told me that you could NOT have a propane tank next to a window? But at our mountain cabin the tank is right infront of the kitchen window? So that rules out that I think...

I really do not want to go ventless, but I really have no way to duct out a pipe for any other kind of heat. Plus I do not have duct work in the house....

I then to take the extreme heat out of the basement, I want to cut vents in the second floor to allow the heat to radiat.... Could this work?

I know I have to compare my electric bills to peoples propane costs... But I need to heat the basement. And I think this would be a way to take the edge off the electric heat....

Any info about bottle placement would be nice...

Thanks
Spankey

Old 01-02-04, 05:25 PM
T
Why not ask the propane delivery company (the ones that will probably deliver and install the tank) where they think should put it?

Ventless is a bad idea... never liked them very much. Even with a stove you have the hood vent to remove the fumes.

Old 01-02-04, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb vent less LP heat

Right at the start where or when is the funeral. In a lot of states and citys, code say no vent less heater Nat or LP.
I just got a new catalog the other day on ventless heaters. Now they say like a 40k btu has to have a 12 to 16 ft ceiling and the 60K btu on up has to have a 19 to 22 ft ceiling. This is in a more or less open like room.Now they all talk about saftey system, and it will shut off with oxygen depletion but by then the good old CO2 has got you. To see what the cost on fuel would be go

wwwwarmair.net they will give it to you for lp over electric

Id call the city code and see if you can even put a LP tank by the home there in the city.

My .02 cents dont put a ventless heater in a home ED

Old 01-02-04, 07:25 PM
I think you will find that the tank placement will be addressed by local codes. I would even venture that the basement issue will be addressed for LP gas at that time also.

The fact in is under a window at a cabin doesn't make it legal.

Ventless works great on a small scale. Not a whole house unit. which is what you are trying to do in reality.

You need to do some more thinking and checking into some particulars. Start with the local LP dealer and show him what you want to do.

Hey, probably not what you wanted to hear. I would rather you hear it hear before you have any money invested than after.

More questions, problems; ask in this thread and someone will answer them.

Old 01-02-04, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
Ventless feedback.

Spankey;

I realize your original question was about tank placement but some of us want to make sure you are fully aware of the downside to ventless heaters.
They are still allowed to be used by code in some places but that is changing.
These heaters when operating at peak efficiency will emit harmfull byproducts of combustion that are within a healthy persons tolerance level.
Where the problem arises is if the unit malfunctions you are relying on a mechanical device to ensure your families safety, especially if you intend to try to heat a large part of your house with it which will cause the unit to run continuously.
IMO a decorative direct vent fireplace that is only used ocasionally would likely not pose much danger but the use you propose might.

Another problem you will experience which is made worse by the installation of efficient windows and doors is moisture build-up within the house.
A considerable amount of water vapor is given off during combustion which will likely cause windows to sweat in cold weather.

Heater info.

Old 01-03-04, 02:21 AM
S
Thanks all for the replies.. Good points.And well taken...

I would do direct vent but am unsure how? The only place to vent the heater would be out this basement wall and thats under my deck? I would think it would cause a heat issue with the deck and also a fume issue as well for people above.. I could be wrong though on that.. I would actually love to do direct vent, but am unsure if I could?

I need to get my local gas/propane guy out here to look at the layout and go from there...

I had an appartment about 10 years ago that had a really nice direct vent propane heater. It looked like a wood stove. It heated the place nicely. The feature I liked the best was the blower it had... It really kicked out some heat.... That was piped right out the wall. But that was not under a deck at all...

I need to see what my options are. I would think that I could get some FREE estimates from local contractors...I hope any way...

Ventless is NOT for me.... I can see that now. Why would anyone want that if they are so dangerous? Makes no sense to me...

Thanks gain for your info and most of all your TIME...

Spankey

Old 01-04-04, 09:34 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've used non-vented before and still use kerosene heaters in my finished lower level.

One thing to consider is that you may not like the moisture that is produced. If you do not have a very large lower level (mine is 1200 sqr. ft.) then the water vapor may drive you nuts. In the winter, it's just enough for us to take the static out of the lower level.

Also, when using non-vented products, you will see a film on your windows after a season of burning. This is the main reason we're gonna switch to something else next winter.

Direct venting right out the wall actually may work for you. Most anything you burn will need oxygen from the room. Typical gas/oil furnaces in basements suck the oxygen right out of the inside of the house, so usually SOMEWHERE there is fresh air coming in thru small openings (like in an attic and thru the door to the attic). Now, If your townhome is on the newer side, you may be in for a problem because newer homes are now so air-tight, problems are arising.

I say that to say this. There is a difference between vented and direct-vent. Vented means that the burned gasses are going outside but the oxygen it's using is from withjin your home. but Direct-vent takes the oxygen from OUTSIDE. That vent you saw on the propane heater in your Apt. actually has a double housing in it; the middle spewing burned gasses out and the outer is sucking fresh air in.

I say it may work well for you because the gasses are so cooled off by in direct-vent appliances, you probably would be able to go near a deck after all. I don't know for sure, so call or stop by a heating store or simply call your codes office. They allow these things to vent right out the wall because they are extremely efficient too.

IF you'd get a direct vent for the lower level, I'd bet that it would heat most of the house like the old days when a coal stove was only used in the basement as the only heating source.

ANYWAY, just check into *direct-vent* as much as you can with a propane tank. Also a propane tank can be burried too in PA if needed. You can also leave it gound level and bury the line going to your appliance in the basement.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: