Amana heat pump makeing noise

Old 01-04-04, 06:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana heat pump makeing noise

One of my heat pumps (amana) is about 5 years old and is starting to make noise on start up.
Only in winter.
Every so often,usually when your not expecting it just before it runs the condensor unit outside bangs continuously(hard to mild) and then quits makeing the sound within 10 seconds,the whole time the fan runs fine,not hitting anything.
I have had the switching valve replaced and just the other day had a hard start kit installed.
Has only done this once since then but must have not been the problem.
Would it be out of the question to ask for a whole new outdoor unit?the compressor does have a 10 year warranty and continually haveing service calls with charges is getting a little ridiculous.
This never has happened when the service person is here but is there a way to trick the unit into thinking it hasent run in awhile.
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-04-04, 08:16 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Two things

It almost sounds like it's slugging, this usually destroys the compressor, The hard start is usually because the compressor is on its way out and the tech is trying to get a bit more life out of it, sometimes this will last for years, I think what you need is a 5 minute time delay, and a crankcase heater. Liquid freon is migrating into the compressor sump as a liquid and causing havoc on the compressor upon starting. It may have been overcharged. When it quiets down is probly because the compressor has gone off on overload. You have to be outside to locate the noise...it might just be a cracked fan blade or ice on the fan blade till it tosses it off, it usually shakes the condensing unit to hell,...get out there and do a visual...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: