electric baseboard 110v?

Old 01-05-04, 04:16 PM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
electric baseboard 110v?

Hi, heres my problem,In my basement i have an electric baseboard heating unit that was wired for 220v. Well it crapped out,kept kicking the breaker.I didn't use it anyway because i have a propane furnace in the basement that i use, so i unhooked it in my breaker box and used the space in the box for a jacuzzi tub i installed. Well now my box is full except for one 110v spot. My house will be empty for about six weeks after i move out and i am concerned about keeping my basement warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing while it is vacant. I don't want to run the propane furnace when the house is empty so i would like to install a new baseboard unit. Are they available in 110v? the basement is about 30x30, but i only need to keep it above freezing temp down there. What do you think? Thanks!

Old 01-05-04, 04:27 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
yes they are available at 120 volts
becareful nottogetone that will excede the breakerin the panel. these things are rated by wattage so remember this formula watts divided by voltage equals amps w/i=a

Old 01-06-04, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Without knowing what part of the country you're in if it's going to be below freezing for 6 weeks I'm not sure if a single 120V electric heaters going to do to much for a 30'x30' unconditioned basement. If the upper part of the house is going to remain conditioned you may be ok.
Just for piece of mind you may want to shut the water off at the meter and drain the house and water heater it only takes about an hour to do this and while your at it pour some rv anti-freeze in the toilet and any other traps.

Old 01-06-04, 06:10 AM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
I plan on leaving the heat upstairs(electric basebaord) on 55. I'm in Eastern Pa. It been in the 40's and 50's here. Usually can get in the teens at night but usually above freezing in the day. I plan on turning the water main off and draining the lines. Thanks!

Old 01-06-04, 06:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb low temp

Have found in the past. When you set a home on low temp for a time. Open all doors let then stand open on closet's and any cadinets ,like kitchen and bath. So it dont get below your 55 in them. Dont forget about all the drain traps in the home. ED

Old 01-06-04, 09:53 AM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
Went to Home Depot today.They don't carry any 120v baseboard,only 240. Are that that uncommon?

Old 01-06-04, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lightbulb heaters

Didnt they have and 110 electric heaters that just plug into the wall . I know our home D pot has them. wont they work for you? ED

Old 01-06-04, 02:45 PM
ochrisl
Visiting Guest
Sure it would, im just not sure how safe it would be to leave unattended for six weeks. That is an easy fix though.

Old 01-06-04, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not heard of a hard wired 110 baseboard. and true, we don't carry the 110v at Home Depot, just the 220v.

Maybe you can add on a side disconnect switch on the side of the main panel. But then want to make sure your main is large enough to handel the extra Amps.

Old 01-06-04, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
ochrisl:

I have used 110 volt hard wired baseboard heaters but they are usually only available on special order at electrical wholesalers.

It wouldn't be a good idea to use a plug-in portable heater for an extended time.
If you do check your homeowners insurance.

I think what Jay means by a side disconnect is a subpanel.
This would be the best long term solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: