Blower doesn't always come on....

Old 01-06-04, 04:08 AM
deerslayer
Visiting Guest
Blower doesn't always come on....

Here is my problem.... My pilot on my furnace is lit, the burners ignite but the blower doesn't always go on. It does randomly go on for a minute or two but not nearly enough to keep my house to a comfortable temperature when it is really cold outside (ie. this morning it is 16 degrees and I cannot get my house warmer than 64) I can hear the pilot igniting the burner repeatedly. Also, I can manually turn the fan on with no problem, it is in the auto mode where the issue lies.... Thanks in advance for any feedback....

Old 01-06-04, 05:29 AM
inkards
Visiting Guest
problem blower

Good morning Deerslayer, I had a similar problem in my furnace and end up being a switch, or some sort of a switch that was cover by pet hair (1 dog, 2 cats) I change the part, about 12 dollars, and stopped the problem in my end.
This switch was located in the inside wall of the furnace, so it is not at plain site, now before you go taking apart your furnace, wait till summer or gat the spec manual for it and it will show you were it is located.
I was told that it is a common problem (Arizona) and relatively simple for the DIY to fix.
Good luck
Inka

Old 01-06-04, 06:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This could be several differant things and 1 is what Inka mentioned and is the fan limit switch. Being sperratic it will be tough to pinpoint for sure but there are only a couple things in the circuit.

1.fan limit
2.fan motor
3.fan motor capacitor

Being that it runs fine in the on position that rules out capacitor and leads to either the heating speed on the fan motor or fan limit.

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 01-06-04, 07:46 AM
if you need to get the temp up in your home, leave the fan switch to "ON" on the T-stat till you find out what's wrong..

Like Matt said, could be the fan control, or motor winding.. so we need a meter to check it out.

How old of a system is it? Brand?

Old 01-06-04, 08:31 AM
deerslayer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of the feedback.... It is an 1987ish Bryant. I think my flame sensor may be shot... what confuses me is the fact that it WILL kick on... I am know thinking that when it "kicks on" it is merely the safety mechanism blowing out the gas. I am trying to find out where to buy this switch... I don't think Home Depot carries them. At the very least it is probably worth my time to at least try and replace the $15 switch than pay for a service call. Does anybody know any websites that would have pictures of this flame sensor? I think I know what it looks like but I want to be sure.... Again thanks for all the help....

-Cold in Michigan

Old 01-06-04, 09:43 AM
If your pilot and burners are coming on and the problem is in the indoor blower you don't have a bad flame sensor.

Does it fire up and run good with the fan in the on position? "except that the blower runs continuous"

Old 01-06-04, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Blower

Now is it the blower that dont run or is it the flame sensor that dont work . It has not a thing to do with the blower or" fan"thats blowes the heat up into the home. Now you say the blower will come on at fan on. So I would find the fan limit switch and jump the fan side to see if the blower cam on .if so just get a new fan limit control for it. Make sure you get the same length on the control ED

To buy parts try Grainger or Johnstone supply

Old 01-07-04, 10:25 AM
deerslayer
Visiting Guest
PROBLEM RESOLVED

Turned out my 3-wire bi-metal "matchbox" ignition switch had carbon build-up. It acts as ANOTHER flame sensor in the pilot... When my burners ignited it pulled the flame off the sensor on the pilot and shut down the gas valve.... Apparently this is a common problem in the Bryant furnaces made in the 80's... They no longer make this type of ignition. Thanks for all the feedback....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: