relocating an (outdoor) heat pump a few feet

Old 01-06-04, 07:22 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
relocating an (outdoor) heat pump a few feet

I wanted the outdoor heating unit to be located at the edge of the house but the contractor stuck it too far in.

The only things I see going into the house are 2 copper lines, one big one wrapped in black padding and another smaller one.

I know the thermostat wire and the whip are flexible so that won't matter but would the copper lines be able to withstand me scooting this thing over a few feet?

TIA,

-MC

Old 01-06-04, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's not a good ideal to move the outdoor unit yourself. The lines may bend too much and end up kinking on you and may start leaking.

Is there a reason why you want the unit over further?

If you told the installing company where you wanted it, and they didn't I would call them back to redo it .

Copper lines can only bend so far with out the right bending tools, so best to leave it with the Pro to get it done right with out any damage.

Old 01-06-04, 07:39 AM
M
what are the "right tools" to bend copper line?

the reason I want to move it over is because I'm building an addition to the house and the more I move it to the edge of the house, the more room I'll have for the addition.
Also I want to put it on a nice little brick platform I built

Thanks,

-MC

Old 01-06-04, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation HEAT PUMP

Its like what did the print call for here. If you try and move it you can kink the lines and let the freon out .Also you want the unit 18" or more from the coils to the wall of the home for room to get air in the coil ED

Old 01-06-04, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will the line sets be in the way when you add on? If the line sets going to be in the way, they will have to be undone, and moved to a new hole in the wall. This MUST be done by the pro.

With out not knowing much much line you have between your unit, and wall, you may not have enough line to even slide the unit over a few feet.

The tools are brought at a HVAC wholesaler, and it would not be worth it for you to spend the money on this tools, and only use it once.

Old 01-06-04, 08:29 AM
M
thanks for the tips

I'll leave that thing alone

-MC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: