Autoflow 200P Humidifier

Old 01-06-04, 04:28 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Autoflow 200P Humidifier

I recently purchased a condo which has an Autoflow 200P unit on the gas furnace ductwork. When the weather got cold, I turned on the water supply and found after a few days the air was still very dry. I opened up the unit to find that there was no foam pad on the wheel. The reservoir filled fine to an appropriate level and the motorized wheel turned fine as well. I removed the unit from the ductwork to give it a good cleaning and bought a new foam element. It's been a couple days of cold weather outside and frequent operation, but the humidity hasn't changed in the house. Does this unit typically work well or shoudl I seek a replacement model ? What %RH should I expect / want to have ?

Old 01-06-04, 06:32 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
air flow

did you open the damper bypass? Usually there is a bypass blade that prevents it from bypassing air during the summer months...The fan switch in the thermostat must be in the ON position at all times ...This is the most common mistake homeowners do...thinking they are saving money by not running the fan motor...Just like a car it's the on/off action that kills fan motors. also, the fan balances the are throughout the whole house to one temperature....the hot air doesn't stagnate around the ceiling when the fan runs, and the humidifier is off any time the fan is off.

Old 01-06-04, 08:54 PM
K
Damper Bypass

I didn't recall there being a damper, but I thought I'd have another look at the ductwork. Sure enough there was a 1/2" metal tab sticking out. I pushed the tab up and sure enough, there's a plate blocking the output of the humidifier. We'll see how that works out. How much more electricity would get used with the blower running all the time vs. on Auto ? Thanks for the post !

Old 01-07-04, 01:56 PM
Possibly a few dollars a month of electricity to run the fan all the time but without the heat from the furnace you won't put nearly as much humidity into the air as when the burner is on.

Old 01-07-04, 04:21 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
comfort

The whole deal here is comfort....When the humidity is higher there is more heat stored in the air and you are less likely to cool off due to evaporation on the skin. Furniture glue joints don't dry out and sinuses don't dry out as badly...If the space feels warmer, you may be able to lower the setting a degree or two and save the difference...plus the heat isn't sitting around the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: