Electric Baseboard Heat

Old 01-06-04, 05:18 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Baseboard Heat

We have electric baseboard heat that works on 2nd floor but not the first. They are on separate circuits. I checked for disconnecetd wires behind the 3 thermostats and checked most of the units on both sides (wires on left of baseboard and wires on right). There's one in the livingroom with a thermostat, diningroom w/ a thermostat and kitchen w/ a thermostat. One other in the bathroom has a dial on the unit. I looked at the breaker a flipped it off an on a few times and also didn't see any disconnected wires.
I didn't use my voltmeter but I think that there isn't any juice going to the thermostats.
Can you please give me some ideas on likely problems?
Thanks,
David

Old 01-06-04, 06:59 PM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
without checking for voltage you really don't know what is really going on check for voltage and than check back with us

Old 01-07-04, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb baseboard

You said you had a voltmeter Id start with the breaker sometimes one side can go out on it. So make sure you read 220 V there and then go to the tstat. ED

Old 01-07-04, 06:32 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I used my tester and found one pole not working on the breaker. I bought a new one matching the brand Cutler Hammer double pole 20 amp each side. I couldn't push it down hard enough to snap in. It had a different design then the original b/c it had a plastic clip/mount instead of metal. I think it was the exact size anyway. I think the problem was the gaps in the part that snaps on to the bus. How hard should I push to snap it in?
I took out another that wasn't being used and hooked the wires back up and the heater works now on 3 of 4 registers. The new breaker is two 30's instead of two twenty's and I left an open space. Is the breaker I used still protecting the circuit?
I'm going to check the thermostat out on the one unit left that still doesn't work.
Please advice.
Much appreciated.
David

Old 01-08-04, 06:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb baseboard

Not sure about the panel you have there or why the new breaker dont fit. BUT on some panels you can take a single say 20 amp breaker and get 2 of them and put them in for the 220. In the handle's there is a hole and you put a wire through it so you tie the two together so they will trip together for the 220V. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: