No Heat

Old 01-09-04, 05:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Heat

Folks;
I baseboard heat with a gas fired bouiler. I have one circulator for three floors. The thermostat is on the second level. My
problem is I have no heat on the third level. There are three
control valves at the boiler. The one that goes to the third level
is hot on one side and cold on the other side of the valve.I have
been told the system may be air bound. I would like to bleed
the third level myself before bringing in a pro to trouble shoot
the problem. I can only find two copper elbows with a bleed one were the piping comes to the third level and one were it goes back down. My question is how to you bleed these lines. The
fitting have a place for a wrench and on top a slot for a screw
driver. Do you hold back on the wrench and turn the top with a screw driver? I don't want to break any thing off. Also should
the heating system be on when i try to bleed it?
The control valve seems to work when I open and close manually but the line does not heat up. Is it possible air bound
piping could be causing this problem? I would appreciate any
help you can offer. thank you in advance

RON

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-04, 10:29 AM
Air is a possible cause of lack of circulation. Especially on the top floor. I am not familiar with the type of vent you described. I would think it only takes a screwdriver to open the bleeder. If you get water that is good. If you get air and then water that is good too because it lets you know it may have been airbound. If you get air or air and then nothing, you will need to get more water pressure in the system to lift the water up to that level. Don't let the bleeder open while you go to add pressure or you will end up shooting water out when you aren't right there. The circulator should be off and it could be helpful to have the zone valve open manually when you bleed the air.

Let us know how it goes.

Ken

Old 01-14-04, 10:50 AM
R
NO HEAT

KEN;
Thank you for your advise.When you say add pressure how do I do that. What should the pressure be? Is there a guage on the
boiler? I think I may be over my head on this

RON

Old 01-14-04, 11:34 AM
Lightbulb boiler

Like Ken said turn the boiler pump off and open that screw a little up there on the top floor. Do you get air you have to get water. If you dont get air or water you have to put more water in the boiler till you get water out of that top bleeder. There should be a gauge there on the boiler one part will say the temp about 180o the other one will say the psi in the boiler about 20psi or what it takes to get the water up there on the top floor bleeder. To add more water or psi. first do you have a auto fill on the boiler? Is the water feed to it turned on?

Do you think that if you got a tech to go over the boiler with you and show you how it works then you can take it from there? ED

Old 01-22-04, 10:49 AM
R
THANKS

Guys;
I can't thank you enough. Your suggestions were right on.I opened up the bleeder on the third floor and nothing but air came
out for two or three minutes. When the air stopped nothing came out(no water) so i turned the heater on and after a few second hot water. The pressure in the boiler was 20psi and the temp. was 180 deg. I felt like a million dollars. One question i do have is
on the first level were the heater is and no termostat the heat
has been too hot and now seems normal. Is it possible since no
heat was going to the third floor most of the heat was going to the first? The pipes were so hot before you couldn't touch them
there still hot but nothing like before. Well any way thanks again
You guys are great

RON