outside supply line

Old 01-10-04, 10:21 PM
jersey
Visiting Guest
outside supply line

hi, a month ago when i changed my outside inline fuel filter i found that my tank shut off valve was leaking and taking in air. two weeks ago the weather was a unseasonably 55 degrees for two consecutive days and i live near buffalo new york. so i took advantage of the weather to bypass the bottom feed of the tank and route a new 3/8 copper from the top to the fuel filter. two days after that the weather dropped to the lowest of the season which was in the mid teens. my furnace quit that day and i believe it was from a frozen line. i tried bleeding the furnace through a clear tube and a little kerosene came out accompanied by a minute of constant air. so i then switched lines back to the original set up and i then got steady fuel. the furnace still didnt fire and i changed the nozzle filter and then it finally worked. the nozzle filter was only a month old and have no idea why that clogged. my main questions are does anyone believe that the line i ran from the top of the tank froze? i use kreosene with a red additive to keep it from gelling, and it only went down to the mid teens. any connection from the drastic temperature change? also, if the fuel did freeze do they sell a heat tape similar to the one used on outside copper water lines? i live in a mobile home and the tank and all lines are outside. thanks.

Old 01-11-04, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oil Tank

You have a lot of ifs here on that tank. Its like how is the tank is it on a tilt so water will go to the other end Could you have put the new intake in the water there, when you went into the top of the tank. We like to tilt the tank to the filter so that water can get out right away. And yes it dont take a lot for the filter on the nozzle to get blocked . You sure you had that new line down in the oil for sure? ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: