motor won't start

Old 01-11-04, 08:55 AM
sparky35
Visiting Guest
motor won't start

I have a hot water heating system. The motor driving the circulating pump does not start on its own. It hums until the thermal overload switch kicks in and shuts it off.
If, while the moter is humming, I use a screwdriver to move the coupling between the motor and the pump the motor will start and run normally. I also hear a "click" from within the motor when it starts.
Does anyone know if this can be easily fixed? I would like to fix it quickly on the premises due to cold weather will not allow heat to be off long.

Thanks

Sparky35

Old 01-11-04, 09:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Probably needs a new starter. Start hunting up a new motor or take it to the shop....you can't fix it where it sits.

Old 01-11-04, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb motor

Id say its more like the capacitor. If you can push it and it starts. Should be in that bump on the motor Id get one and try it only a few $$ for a new capacitor get one just like it MFD and volts ED

Old 01-11-04, 09:37 AM
sparky35
Visiting Guest
BTW the motor in question is a AOSmith 939 which was installed as a rerplacement for a bell&gossett pump motor. The AOSmith motor is not quite 2 yrs old. No maintenance has been performed since installation.

There is no external capacitor on the motor the only external protrusion is the wiring box.
Could there be an internal capicitor??

Is there some kind of internal starting switch which is what what I hear (Click) as I manually start the motor. It takes very little effort to get it going - only a tap to the coupling.

Thanks,
Sparky35

Old 01-11-04, 09:42 AM
Yep...that's what you are hearing...on a Sunday it might be tough to find a replacement. Would you have a Harbor Freight in your area? They might accidently have something to replace it with.

Old 01-11-04, 09:53 AM
sparky35
Visiting Guest
Do you think it is possible that click I hear is a sticking start switch that could be freed up via disassembly and cleaning/lubrication?

I can't imagine having to replace the motor within a two year period.

With a short lifespan like that, this heating plant will be very expensive to maintain.

the original motor lasted over 20 yrs.

Thanks Again,

Sparky35

Old 01-11-04, 10:00 AM
The motor can be fixed. I thought you were desperate for a fix today. I've tinkered on one to try to make it go when that happened, but at best it started once on it's own after much fussing. The starter needs replacing.

Old 01-11-04, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb motor

Dont know why the other motor. The Bell & Gossett have cap. on them . Might be why they last.Yes if your into it .Kill the power and pull the motor then the end bell and just clean the start switch could work
points do burn some times. Ed

Old 01-11-04, 07:00 PM
If you get it going tonight, just replace it tomorrow. It will cost well over $100 but get an original replacement. Either B&G or Armstrong. The look alike replacements are junk. Be glad you can save the labor cost and don't try to bring the dead back to life. If you can change the whole pump yourself, put in a Taco 007. The whole pump will cost less than the B&G motor and you will save future headaches with the coupler and bearing assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: