Big heating question

Old 01-11-04, 10:36 AM
bad13oy
Visiting Guest
Big heating question

I have one huge heating question. I live in a two family house (upstairs and down stairs) He have a oil furnace and 2 electric hot water heaters. I live on the first floor, no matter what i set my thermostat to the apt get no hotter than 65 degrees. If i set the thermostat to 80 i can still touch the heating element and feel that there is no way they are 80 degrees..I have baseboard heating..Now the upstairs can set theirs and it adjust fine..You can't even touch there heaters cause they are hot.We are on 2 seperate thermostats..They have one and we have one.. I fisrt thought it might be the thermostat..So i purchased a new digital one and still have the same problem. Any suggestions? I also heard that if the little metal element on the baseboard are bent you don't get great heat. Could that be the problem?

Old 01-11-04, 10:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i doubt the fins are the problem. not sure what you are heating with...is the oil furnace forced air? sounds like you have a boiler? could be a zone valve either not opening or not opening all the way

Old 01-11-04, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb What do you have

I take it that this is a boiler and you have hot water baseboard heat. Now did you check out the pump on the boiler for your zone and did it run when your tstat called for heat? Is the air all out of the baseboard or did you bleed them. Then also look under the fins on the baseboard is there a lot of lint there.That will stop the air in the room from getting the heat out of the baseboard. ED

Old 01-11-04, 11:51 AM
bad13oy
Visiting Guest
thanks for the suggestions..I just checked the pipes coming up out of the floor and they are very hot..I just fixed some of the metal fins and i think that might have solved the problem, who ever lived here before must have never fixed them ..Cause they were all bent and folded over.I think that was traping the heat..But i will keep an eye out...Thanks for all the help

Old 01-11-04, 04:35 PM
What's your pressure on the boiler's gauge? You should have about 15 to 18psi. Temp?

Turn t-stat down and MAKE SURE air are bleed out all of your base board.

Old 01-11-04, 07:37 PM
While we are on the subject of fins, make sure there is no carpeting or anything blocking the small space uder the baseboard. The air needs to go in there and come out the louver to get max output.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: