My relief valve is leaking on my Gas Boiler

Old 01-11-04, 04:44 PM
cpas
Visiting Guest
My relief valve is leaking on my Gas Boiler

Hello,

Can anyone help?

I have a Gas fired boiler furnace (circulating hot water baseboard heat) for heat in my house. My relief valve has been leaking pretty bad lately. I have an expansion tank, and when I had this problem a couple of years ago, I drained some water from it, and that fixed the problem. Not this time.

I noticed the pressure gage is going up over 30 psi, and the relief valve is set for 30 psi. Seems like my system pressure is running too high? Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks!
cpas

Old 01-11-04, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your system pressure should be about 13 to 18psi. is it on Auto feed water system? (automatily refills the system when pressure drops below set pressure)

Or do you open the water valve and refill the boiler?

What's the water temp in boiler?

Old 01-11-04, 08:36 PM
cpas
Visiting Guest
Yes, the boiler fills automatically. There is a shutoff valve for the feedwater that stays open all the time and the boiler takes water when it needs it.

I just checked for the temperature and the boiler was just starting a heating cycle. I caught it at just uner 100 degrees F, and the pressure was already at 30 psi (relief valve was dripping). The pressure continued to increase with temperature, now the boiler is at about 169 degrees and 35 psi.

Old 01-12-04, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb boiler

I dont know if you gauge is right or not. They dont cost that much Id get a new one just for kicks. Now If you dont think you can work on the auto feed there on the boiler call some one in now. Or get a new auto feed there for the boiler and put it in right now. you could turn the auto feed water off for just now and let some of the water out "now now". The relief valve should pop at 30 psi That temp on the boiler most come on at 160F and go off at 180F ED

Old 01-12-04, 04:31 PM
When you drain an expansion tank, you need to drain it all the way or you make the problem worse. You need to get air to fill the tank so water can then enter the tank and compress the air. Isolate the tank and drain it completely. Sometimes there is a small vent to get air into the tank. Open it during draining and close it before refilling. That is probably your only problem. If pressure rises to 30 psi after a drain and refill, the auto-feed is leaking through and would need to be replaced.

Old 01-13-04, 05:56 AM
H
Due to the fact that the pressure rises with temperature, it sounds like you have a bad expansion tank. The tank has a rubber bladder to separate the water from air in the tank. The bladder sometimes rots out and causes exactly what you describe. Tanks are cheep, and you can get one at most plumbing supplies or big box stores. A new tank will run you about $25-$30 and is easy to replace.

Old 01-13-04, 06:08 AM
The original post made reference to draining some water from the tank. If the tank has a drain valve on it, it does not have a bladder in it. Bladder tanks have a male pipe fitting on one end and a schrader valve (like on a tire) with a cap over it and are about 14" in diameter and the ends are dome shaped. If you have a tank strapped up in the ceiling and it has a drain valve on it, follow the directions to drain it all the way. If you have a bladder tank, you can check the pressure in it by taking pressure off of the system and checking the schrader with a tire gauge. There should be 12 psi in the tank. Let us know if you have any other questions about the tank or how to drain it or replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: