Two Speed Motor Installation??? Humidifier??

Old 01-11-04, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Two Speed Motor Installation??? Humidifier??

I have a 20 year old Lennox G8 Furnace. 150 BTU, we have humidifier on the furnace and have noticed that the house isnt retaining any significant level of humidity. (extremely old house 60 years)

My questions is that It would make scense to keep the furnace blower on at all times, however there is only a one speed motor in the furnace and when I look at it, it doesnt look like it is the origninal moter as it is 1/2hp and it is a single speed.

Can I hook up a two speed motor to this unit and will that help me keep my blower on at all times?

I have attached the spec sheet on the wiring. This is not the direct drive it is belt driven motor.

Also, it is the G8 lennox

THanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-04, 06:19 AM
Lightbulb blower motor

The lennox furnace with belt where only one speed. You set the speed with the pulley. Yes to let it run all the time will help with the humidity Look at the fan limit you could push the fan control down and it would run all the time for you . Or wire a jumper on it so you can turn the fan on and off there I dont recall if the fan control there had a on switch on it or not. You schamtic didnt show up here ED

Old 01-12-04, 11:47 AM
On/Off switch

I have an on/off switch that controls the fan AUTO/ON from my thermostate and that will do the trick, I was hoping I could put in a two speed motor and keep it running at a lower spead.

I am work now and dont have the schematic but will try to resend tonight. It does look like you can put a multi speed motor into these, not just a two speed.

It states that the G8 only has one speed and the others have multi speed.

THanks
Chris

Old 01-12-04, 01:40 PM
Lightbulb blower motor

If you want to go on into it Yes you can. Get a two speed motor and put a SPDT relay in the fan control with a 110v coil or wire it to that tstat for fan on for this you want a 24 v coil. This way it would be on all the time at the low speed and when the fan control calls for it it would take it up to high speed. when the heat call is over it will drop back down to slow speed. Or would it pay to look for a bigger are better humidifier. dont forget if you have AC you want it on the high speed and that where it comes on on that fan on at the tstat. I dont recall any Lennox that had a belt drive that had two speed motors on them . All of the direct drives where from 2 speed to 5 speed ED

Old 01-12-04, 08:26 PM
Sounds a little complicated!

That sounds a little complicated, When you look at this thread it shows an attachment but I dont see it in the posts. I will try it again, its a 180kb jpeg, that should be okay eh?
thanks
chris

Old 01-12-04, 08:34 PM
Post attachment

I cant seem to get the attachment up

Old 01-12-04, 09:13 PM
Try again

I tried again

Old 01-12-04, 09:19 PM
One more time

http://home.primus.ca/~kerrigan/furnaceg8.jpg

I uploaded it to a website. this should work

Old 01-13-04, 09:15 AM
Question blower motor

Ok do you have an AC on here now? Or just the fan ON there at the tstat? ED

Old 01-13-04, 04:29 PM
Not Sure what you mean

I am not sure what you mean? I have a 1/2 HP motor driving belt drive fan

I think you mean thermostat. I run the fan via the thermostat. not an AC switch. AL wiring seems to be hooked up right.
ck

Old 01-13-04, 05:56 PM
What Ed is asking is if you have air conditioning also. If not or even if you did you could get a multi speed motor and with the right relay you could run this the way you are wanting to. If you decide to go this route wiring it in the furnace is not tough and we can explain it.

Old 01-13-04, 08:39 PM
Old 01-14-04, 04:36 AM
It's not a problem putting a multi-speed in there and making it work with some creative wiring if that's the route you want to take. Price wise you're going to spend somewhere around $400.00. Keep in mind this is a 20 year old furnace and could die on you any day. That money would be much better spent on a new furnace that would pay for itself in 4-5 years and you could get a variable speed setup on it.

After some thought you could possibly cut some of the cost if you kept it as a belt drive and bought a multi speed motor instead of going to direct drive. You just don't want to exceed the current speed to much because it can get noisy.

Last edited by mattison; 01-14-04 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-14-04, 07:54 AM
I am w/ Matt. You are better off spending the money on a new furnace vs this 20 y/o system. from what I can see in the pix, it seems like tye system is older than 20 years old from the controls.

Not knowning what State you are in, if you are in the northern states, your payback will be faster on a new system.

http://www.hvacopcost.com/

Go on that sight, you can see how much you can save over a year with a new system. Also, lot of times the older system were oversized for the home, so a new smaller sized system is really save you money, and comfort.

Side notes: I see you have EAC (elctronic air cleaner), do you keep the cells washed every month?

Old 01-14-04, 11:56 AM
Belt Drive

I want to keep it as a belt drive. Cant I just change the motor to the two speed and then wire into this existing systems. It looked like the schematic has been wired to two speed anyway?

http://home.primus.ca/~kerrigan/furnaceg8.jpg

Old 01-14-04, 01:11 PM
Your furnace never had a 2-speed for the belt. If you had direct drive, then you would of had 2 speed motor.

I have never seen or heard of a belt driven blower using a multi-speed motor..

Belt driven blower use adj blower pully.

On the schematic,

-The green is your motor ground.

-The black is your power

-The black/red? is your nutral line.

Old 01-14-04, 01:25 PM
Lightbulb 2 speed

Look at the schamtic there Jay it can be done. ED

Old 01-14-04, 04:04 PM
Ed, Yeah, they got the relay for it. but I never seen a multi-speed motor on a belt driven blower..

Old 01-14-04, 06:48 PM
direct drive

SO do you think I need to make it a direct drive? and how would I do that?

Also, focus on the schematics on the right, because the model is a G8.

Also, why cant you have a two speed belt drive

Old 01-15-04, 06:35 AM
Lightbulb 2 speed

Hey if he wants it there and thinks it will work let him do it. Dont know if you can follow this here or not need a schamtic. Get a relay like the one you have there in that G8 furnace now ONLY get the coil for 110V -SPDT. Take the on wire from the relay now in the furnace and wire from fan control put them both on the coil of it and just pick up a ground. Now put a hot to the supply on this relay. From the "norm closed" run a line to the low on your belt drive motor and the high to the open on the relay. Put a 110V switch in this low line this is where you can turn it on so it will run on low all the time are off when the AC is on. This way with it turned on low and running when the fan control turns on or you turn the fan on at the tstat it will go to high speed for you. I see that Johnstone supply has the 2 speed belt drive fan motors with a 1725/1140 Rpm in a 1/2 and 1/3 .Go for it let us know how it works. No you dont need a direct drive ED

Old 01-15-04, 11:05 AM
Wiring diagram

when I look at the wiring diagram, it looks like everything is there.

Also it looks like the motor has been upgraded too to a 1/2 hp. the spec looks like a 1/3 hp should be there.

Can I just take the Yellow lead from the fan limit control and remove it from the red and attach it to the yello lead on the Relay? with the same yellow going to the low speed of the motor?

Thanks
Chris

Old 01-15-04, 11:18 AM
Lightbulb blower motor

No if you look inside the furnace that relay with the yellow wire is what makes the blower come on now with the A/C and when you go to fan. Take and draw out how I said on paper first. We cant have it so the motor could get a hot to low and high at the same time. ED

Old 01-15-04, 11:24 AM
2 speed belt drive motors

I just called the motor supply guy and they do have 1/2 1750/1140 motors for belt drive systems approx $200 CDN or $150US.

It can be done and I think the relay is already in the furnace, so I just have to hook it up.

Canada Motor & Supply Co Ltd 905-451-4474

Old 01-15-04, 11:30 AM
Lightbulb blower motor

NO NO NO the relay in the furnace now is for the AC or fan on. it has to stay there and be used but you need the other one and a switch also . Draw it out. Ill bet that your furnace is wired just like the layout for the direct drive that you have on the same paper now. Thats how you turn your blower on now

Old 01-15-04, 12:51 PM
Diagram

Shouldnt I be able to turn my fan on low from my Thermostat? and then when the furance comes on it kicks into high?

And to do that dont you just separte the RED and Black leads so that when the heat turns on the high is kicked in

Doesnt the fan control switch between the low and fast speed depending whether the burners are on or not?

Doesnt the fan control tell the relay where to send power?

Dont you think if it is wired through the current blower relay and fan control that it should be able to operate from the thermostat?
thanks
Chris

Old 01-15-04, 01:14 PM
Lightbulb 2speed

NO

NO

NO

and NO Like I said draw it out you cant do it that way. you will have 110V on the high and the low at the same time ED

Old 01-16-04, 05:24 PM
Complicated

it looks like this furnace doesnt follow the diagram. The relay is external and set into the power source.

I would like a schematic on the fan control, the relay, and the gas valve. any idea where I can get that?

Old 01-17-04, 11:43 AM
Exclamation furnace

That schematic you had for the G8 has it in there. You mean the furnace is not like that? there is a relay in there? Like I said work it out on a drawing you do. Just think where and how the hot has to go.You have to come off the relay that it shows and go to one just like it but with a 110v coil ED

Old 01-17-04, 12:02 PM
Relay

The relay isnt in the furnace, its outside connected to the power in and then the power comes out of the relay. Also, the thermostate goes to this relay as well and then the LV wire come from the relay and go to the Gas valve and the fan control.

Looks a little more confusing than originally thought. THe motor has been changed at some point and maybee that is when all this was done.
thanks

Old 03-20-04, 09:26 PM
Received 39 Votes on 33 Posts
I believe that what you are seeing outside of the furnace is the transformer, and not the relay.

I have the same (same model, much newer though) furnace, and the transformer is outside of the unit. Why don't you call a tech to do the job?

Old 05-05-04, 11:17 PM
$150 motor for a 20yr old furnace.

Personally I think it would be worthwhile to go ahead and get a new correctly sized furnace.
If you plan on runnign the fan all the time get a varible speed, they use about the same power as a 100W light bulb vs the 600W you are using now.
The gas savings alone will pay for the equiptment compared to a 20 yr old furnace.
How much more life can it have in it ?

Old 07-16-04, 07:00 PM
Received 39 Votes on 33 Posts
At 20 years old, it may have a cracked heat exchanger and need replacement anyways. Not worth it - time to replace.