Installing Wood Heater

Old 01-12-04, 11:59 AM
David2
Visiting Guest
Installing Wood Heater

I have a wood-burning heater [used] that I would like to install in my shop [ 30x50 metal w/concrete floor, 2" insulation walls & ceiling]. It has an 8" flu stubbed out of top. I plan to extend 8" stovepipe to near top of walls[10'] and use a 90 degree L to exit wall; then L back up on outside.
Is this OK? How high do I need to go with the outside [gable is about six feet tall from top of wall to ridge]? How far from wall [plywood] must the stove sit? Finally, the stove had an external blower mounted on back; any problem not using fan[stove is double-wall steel w/ cast-iron door w/gasket around door]?
Thank You
David

Old 01-12-04, 01:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation stove

What is code where you are would be the first thing. Id think out the back by the gable so the stack can go up above the ridge some anyou would have some way to hold the smoke pipe up.
The smoke pipe should be 18" away from any combustible.
If the stove dont have fire brick in it Id say that fan should run all the time to cool the steel down. ED

Old 01-12-04, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
David:

Our code here requires that single wall stovepipe be 24" from combustibles.
We also must use approved insulated metal chimney for all but the stove connection to within 24" from ceiling or wall.
If going out the side wall you must use a bracket from the chimney maker.
Another requirement is if the building is used for a vehicle that the furnace be high off the floor.
Here the base of the stove or furnace must be a minimun of 5 feet off the floor.

The regs in your area are likely different.
If you have insurance you must notify the insurance company and have the stove noted on your policy and also ensure the installation meets their requirements.

Info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: