Carrier furnace won't start up...HELP!!!

Old 01-14-04, 12:56 PM
CmdrData
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Carrier furnace won't start up...HELP!!!

Hi All,

Need your help on my home Carrier furnace system, it won’t come on. Info are as follow:

Brand: Carrier
Model: 58MSA-100
Type: Gas
Ignition: Hot surface ignition system
LED flashing code: 3 short, 1 long
Owner Manual: http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...t/om58-110.pdf

The unit works normal until outside temp drops to –25C like today. I set the thermostat to 23C but when I woke up this morning, it is at 20C, display shows “System On” but it is not. In the past, I learned to recycle the power to furnace and it will startup fine, but no luck today. Normally, before the pilot comes on, the Inducer motor fan (#9 for Fig.2 on P.3 of owner’s manual) will start for 10-15 sec, then come the pilot and blower afterward. But this time, once I recycle the power, Inducer fan comes on as usual but no pilot or blower.

Filter was replaced 2 weeks ago, found no obstruction around exhaust vent termination and tried shut down/power up procedures to restart the furnace but every time the Inducer fan comes on for its usual cycle then stop. The LED diagnostic light is emitting 3 short & 1 long flashes. Does anyone know what is wrong??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-04, 03:55 PM
mercdrive
Visiting Guest
it must be carrier week im in the same boat kinda did you look at the other threads on here mine is starting but somewhat diff prom there is another thread with some good help its called carrier heater posted by ron burt good luck there alot of great people on here to help, Jeff

Old 01-14-04, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what is the fault of 3/1 flashes...am downloading acrobat reader which was needed to view your link. very slow. your problem will be a relatively easy one to fix

Old 01-15-04, 03:01 PM
CmdrData
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Anyone?? Pleassseeee.........

Old 01-15-04, 03:42 PM
31, look inside the blower door for better details, the pressure switch is not closing check tubing for cracks, blow through the rubber tube into the inducer housing, is it clear?

Old 01-21-04, 12:40 PM
CmdrData
Visiting Guest
Hi hvac4u,

I finally found the manual with fault code chart.

Code #31 -
Description: Pressure Switch Not Closed
Checklist: Check to make sure that all PVC pipes leading into the combustion-air intake and vent/exhaust are free from any cracks and sags. Also check the combustion-air intake adjacent to the furnace and vent/exhaust pipe on the outside of your home for blcokage.

I think the furnace has a brain of its own. It will operate fine in the evening since the house is warm when I get home but just won't start in the morning until like 8:30am. I'll check the 2 rubber tubes that go into inducer. From what i have seen so far, they should be fine. But this has been happening since day one...

Thx!!

Old 01-21-04, 02:55 PM
How is your vent set up outside?

Do you have a screen mesh on the "intake" pipe outside?

If you have a screen on the intake, I almost want to bet that is bult up with frost.

Old 01-21-04, 03:09 PM
CmdrData
Visiting Guest
Jay,

There is no intake vent setup on the outside. If you can see the pdf user manual I posted at beginning of this thread, go to fig.3 on P.4, you will see the exhaust vent to outside. But you will also see a "L" shape pipe pointing downward, that is the intake vent.

So, there is no frost build up on the intake vent since it is inside the house.

P.S. one more thing, forgot to mention this weird noise. Whenever the inducer starts running, i can hear "water" rattle/shaking noise from inside exhaust vent pipe. As for the vent end outside, it doesn't show like that diagram but is a straight horizontal pipe pointing out.

Old 01-21-04, 03:13 PM
Inside??

I just checked the PDF file... Ok, never seen it done that way.. So that rules out the frost.

But check the hose for the pressure switch make sure it's not filled with water.

Old 01-21-04, 03:18 PM
CmdrData
Visiting Guest
Pressure switch fills with WATER!!! Are you kidding??

Jay, I just added something new to my last post about some water sound from exhaut vent pipe. What do you think that is?

Thx!

Old 01-21-04, 04:15 PM
find where the drain tubes connect into the inducer housing. pull them...if water flows, you have a drain problem , i think this is your issue

Old 01-23-04, 07:39 AM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
2.5 years old isn't this still under warranty? If is is and you attempt to do any repairs on the system this will violate your warranty

Old 01-25-04, 05:23 PM
sal1lopez
Visiting Guest
Smile

Just wanted to say thnak you to HVAC4U for his inputs. I also have a Carrier furnace (58DXC) with almost the identical problem as CmdrData.

I blew into the inducer rubber tubing and my problem was solved. No more 3 and 1 code, and my heat went from 59 degrees to 69.

I spent a miserable cold night last night. Thanks again.