Ceiling mounted duct work is noisy

Old 01-15-04, 11:56 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling mounted duct work is noisy

I live in a ranch home with a basement. The duct work runs along the basement ceiling (wood) and is mounted to it. In the middle of the house upstairs I hear the duct work rattle and make a single boom noise when I step in one cetain area. I have access to it in the basement, and all the screws are tight and the duct work itself seem secure and doesn't move. It's running within the frame of the wood ceiling between the floor joists. The noise is driving us (and the family dog) crazy since it sounds like thunder. Any ideas to stop it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 01:01 PM
sounds like the duct is booming when the fan cuts in or out? i would find the exact section of duct that is making the racket an screw supports to to duct to stop this, duct is usually "crossbroken" or "beaded" to eliminate this

Old 01-15-04, 04:41 PM
Lightbulb heat ducts

Like hvac4u said you have to find it . Some times we take what is called a T slip , (made out of sheet metal) and cut it to fit across the duct on the bottom. Run a sheetmetal screw in it and into the duct right on each edge of the duct. I think its what we call an oil can dent bangs when the blower comes on. ED

Old 01-16-04, 06:05 AM
K
Sorry guys, should have mentioned, it happens all the time, no matter if the fan is on or off, turning on, turning off. Picture if being equal to a squeek in a hardwood floor. When I step right in front of the closet it makes that boom noise and you can tell its within the ductwork. From the bastment looking up at the duct work (return) everything seems tight.

Here's my theory. Sheetmetal from the ductwork is attached to the the floor. The wooden floor is moving a little and hitting the sheetmetal. I would love to be able to run a screw into the bottom of the floor or place a shim between the two. But, no can do. The ductwork is screwed into the ceiling between joists and I can't get between the sheet metal and the wood.

If this isn't clear I'll take some pics.

Old 01-16-04, 11:10 AM
Duct---- BANG

Out of the box here. Could you get a can of the insulation foam. with long tube like on it and put the tube up along the duct and joist and put some in here and there????????on top of the duct like ED