furnace

Old 01-15-04, 03:44 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
furnace

Im asking this ? for a buddy. He has a fridigaire up flow model about 2 yrs old. its nat gas. when he calls for heat the blower goes on then the flame goes on for about4 sec then the flame goes off . and the blower contunues to run for about 5 min,then it will go off , then about 2 min later . it repeats what I just said . then the blower comes back on the flame ignites and now it stays on for about 3 min then goes of then the blower stays on for a couple more minutes then goes off. Now it repeats this all over again. the temp set on his thermostat is never hit it stays 10 degress lower then what its set at. And this happens for the a/c in the summer too. The a/c coil was replaced 3 months ago and is clean. the filter is clean too.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-04, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
happens in a/c mode too? just cuts off then back on? if so i am thinking possibily tstat or wire maybe...rule this out by jumping R and W at furnace

Old 01-15-04, 04:15 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
Im sorry its just the burners , it doesnt happen in the a/c mode

Old 01-15-04, 04:19 PM
ok, locate the flame sensor, generally located in front of the far burner from the ignitor. clean it lightly with steel wool, sounds like a flame sensing problem. be sure to check the furnace for proper grounding.

Old 01-15-04, 04:24 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
Im gonna tell him to check it out thanks

Old 01-15-04, 05:41 PM
bishop816
Visiting Guest
there is no current ground wire in in the bx going to the furnace. the ground from the furnace is just sitting there. do I run a ground wire from the box back to the furnace . also the furnace is not on a dedicated line. . should it be ?

Old 01-15-04, 06:05 PM
bishop816
Visiting Guest
hvac4u

there is no current ground wire in in the bx going to the furnace. the ground from the furnace is just sitting there. do I run a ground wire from the box back to the furnace . also the furnace is not on a dedicated line. . should it be ?

Old 01-16-04, 02:34 PM
hook up that ground wire, and no it does not need a dedicated circuit to operate properly. i will be on this evening, post your results or questions, i will get right to them

Old 01-16-04, 06:46 PM
dennist 1
Visiting Guest
HVAC4U he ran that ground back to the service and cleaned that flame sensor and there is a huge difference. It cycles alot better and alot longer. its within 2 degrees of the target temp. Thank you very much I,ll be sure to look you up if any more ? come up . Thanks again

Old 01-17-04, 04:30 PM
no problem, i am glad to help. i still have family in arlington heights, used to got there regularly in the 60's and 70's. it gets too cold up there for me, even though i was raised there have not seen a snow shovel since "79!!!