house wont heat up

Old 01-16-04, 09:09 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
house wont heat up

Up here in Boston its well below 0 today and to keep my house at 64 or so degrees I need my thermostat set to 80 + . I have a brand new furnace from Keyspan because I just switched from oil to gas. Is there a setting on the furnace that will make it hotter.? I have a very small house and I find it hard to believe it can not maintain the house at 70 + degrees.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-04, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The heat is either on or off. It does not throw more heat if you turn it up to 80 degrees. Just set it where you want it and if it doesn't get there, there is no need to turn it up further. You didn't tell us if you have warm air or hot water heat so it is tough to give you any info about settings. Here in PA we design systems to maintain 70 when it is 0 outside. That means when it goes below 0 (not the chill factor) the house may not be able to maintain 70 anymore. It is a short lived problem and 65 feels pretty warm when it's 0 outside anyway.

Old 01-16-04, 10:17 AM
ducati1212
Visiting Guest
It is a forced hot water system and I think you answered my question. I did not realixe it was on or off.. I'll just be happy its 60 + and wait for summer

Thanks

Old 01-16-04, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler

If you have hot water the boiler could be set up to 180o what is it set for now? But like Ken said we put units in for 70 in the home when its 0o out side. Does the burner shut off at all? ED