Water in metal pan beneath my furnace in attic

Old 01-18-04, 08:26 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Water in metal pan beneath my furnace in attic

I have a 90% efficient Carrier upright furnace installed in my attic.

There is a drip pan beneath the furnace, which I suppose is supposed to catch water.

Evidently the water is accumulating in this pan and has caused damage to the ceiling below.

Seems like it should run out of a tube connected to the side of the pan.

Question is should there be this much water from the 90% efficient furnace to cause a water problem.

Seconds issue. There seems to be a small 4 inch long piece of flexible hose protruding from the lower side of the furnace which is not connected to anything but is close enough to connect into a pipe which might be part of the drain. Do you think this hose is supposed to be connected to the drain?

Thank you for the help. I imagine the heating contractor might say snow accumulated in the attic, but we have not had snow for over two weeks and the temperatures have been in the 50's for over two weeks in the day time.

thank you for the help, Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think all 90+ furnaces are of the condensing vareity and need a place for the condensation to go. The a/c unit (if you have one) also needs a condensate drain and that will usually send out a lot of water compared to the furnace condensate. I think there is usually some sort of neutralizer on the furnace condensate as the discharge is slightly acidic.

Hopefully one of the gas guys will be along soon and can expand on this topic.

Ken

Old 01-19-04, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The right way for it to have been done is that you should have 1 drain coming out of the air-handler itself with a trap then going to a drain somewhere. Sometimes when they are in an attic they will just pipe it outside to the gutter. Then the pan under the air-handler is a secondary pan. In the event the regular drain from the air-handler gets glogged it will overflow into this one. These are usually piped so that the water runs out where it will be noticed for example...over your front door. Highly recomended is a shutoff switch in the secondary pan. That way if the regular drain gets a clog and water starts to get into the secondary pan it will shut off the unit.

Old 01-19-04, 04:02 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Turns out the drain tube came out of the pipe it was supposed to drain the water into. Not sure how it came out. But that was the problem, thanks for the help. Brad

Old 01-19-04, 05:31 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Secondary pan

a secondary pan serves no purpose if there is no switch in it. When a float switch is installed and you get uncomfortable it causes you to investigate. This prevents ceiling damage.