adding a heat register

Old 01-18-04, 08:35 PM
unit610
Visiting Guest
adding a heat register

I had a second story addition put on my house. The furnace is in the attic. Every bedroom got 2 heat registers in the ceiling except for one bedroom that only has one. I want to put a second register in since this room seems colder than the rest. The system uses 6" round duct branches off the main supply running to each of the registers. How do I cut into the main supply to connect a new branch? What do I need in regard to supplies? Is there a tool that makes cutting into the supply line easier? Where the new branch meets the supply is my concern. The register end of the branch seems easy enough with the boot sitting in the new hole I'll cut in the ceiling. I'd like to know the steps for connecting the new 6" branch to the supply without any leaks. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just take the 6" put it up to the duct and trace around the inside. Then cut it out with tin snips. No biggy. There's a couple differant kinds of take offs..some have bendable tabs you just fold them inside the supply duct, some are called spin-ins and they do just that they kinda screw in. The best way to seal them is with duct sealer but you cannot run your system until it sets up. Don't forget to put a balancing damper in also.

Old 01-19-04, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question new duct

You dont say what kind of duct work you have here? is it fiberglass duct board and flex pipe to the register boot? ED

Old 01-19-04, 04:23 PM
unit610
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the help. Turns out the room doesn't need a second register. A neighbor that does heating and air took a look at the room. He said the guy who did my install should not have put the air return at the top of the wall since the heat was blowing across the ceiling and getting sucked out the return. I am going to cut an air return closer to the floor and seal the upper one.