furnace humidifier placement

Old 01-20-04, 04:51 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace humidifier placement

Hi,
I have a bypass humidifier attached to my return plenum and have a 6" duct running to it from the supply plenum. I have a heat pump/electric coil sysytem.

I noticed in my humidifier manual to install a humidifier downstream from an Electronic Air Cleaner. But my humidifier is located a couple of feet ABOVE the EAC. How big of a problem is this since my humidifier is an evaporative type, and does not spray out water particles( I did have some water on the floor the other day and it came out of the bottom of the plenum because I believe my eveaporator pad which was over 1 year old clogged up.

Also what difference would using hot water in my humidifier make, since the heat produced by the heat pump/electric coil strips is not like oil or gas....
I hope I explained myself well, and can get some advise....Thanks.
George
p.s. or do I even need a humidifier because I have had it off for 2 days and present humidity is 25% and outdoor temp is 8F.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-04, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
George:

As long as you don't see any mineral build up you should be ok with the humidifier where it is.

Hot water piped to the unit could damage it as the components are not designed for it.

You don't say where you are or what temps you experience.
You would be the best judge of whether the humidity in your home gets low enough to need a humidifier or not.

It would probably be as much work to remove it as it would be to maintain it.

Old 01-20-04, 06:12 PM
G

Hi,
I am north of Montreal in the foothills...Temps can range from -32F(rare) up to 35F in the winter....usually in the 8-22 degree range. The bypass duct that is there now is an aluminum flexible duct connected to a hard 90degree elbow. It might do something to put a hard duct where the flex is now??????? Also there is one damper. Can I put another one in to reduce flow even more for the summer. Even when the damper is closed there is still some air passing through the duct.
George

Old 01-20-04, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
George:

You really won't get much more airflow by replacing the flex duct.

Replace the pad, clean the pan and make sure the bypass damper is fully open and it should work fine.

If the damper is closed in the summer the leakage you get will not affect anything.

Old 01-21-04, 07:03 AM
G

Thanks,
How much warm air am I losing by having the bypass hunmidifier since there is a 6" supply running into the return(that is air that isn't directly entering the ducts to the register....Thanks
p.s. I might replace the flex with hard duct this weekend just for something to do......if you really think it is worth keeoing a humidifier.
Thanks
George

Old 01-21-04, 07:18 AM
Thats for sure you do need that humidifier in the winter time . It will help you save on fuel ED

Old 01-21-04, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
George:

You will reduce the volume going to the registers slightly but I've never really noticed that it ever affected the output to the registers on ones I put in.
If you have airflow problems then you could look at upping the airflow but if the heat distribution is ok then leave it alone.

To keep the humidifier?
I'm sure people in your area are paying good money to have them installed.

Old 01-21-04, 08:56 AM
G

Thanks...decided to keep unit, and it is better to leave as is rather than try to move the EAC up and the humidifier down so it'll be downstream of the EAC. It'll be cheaper to just make sure I replace the Pads frequently so there is no chance of back up or overflow.

No real problems with air flow, except large living room(33x18 approx.) with 2 large walls to the exterior is a little cooler. But original system was oil heat and I added some ducts, and used the original ducts to hook up the HP and electric coil system....All in all very wise decision.
George

Old 01-21-04, 10:23 AM
A couple more quick comments:

The instructions for Aprilair bypass humidifiers specifically say that they should be installed with a hot water supply to increase evaporation. I did as instructed on mine and it works well. Check with your manufacturer. You might benefit by switching to hot water.

Watch the EAC for increased arcing. High voltage doesn't always mix well with damp air. If there is a chance that the humidifier might leak onto the electronic cell, it's a hazard and you probably need to swap them around.

The bypass effects air pressure, but not heat or cool. The pressure may be slightly lower, but the air will be slightly warmer (winter) or cooler (summer). No heat or cold is actually lost. Heat can transfer from the bypass pipe to the area surrounding it, or vise versa, but if it's within the conditioned space of the house it isn't lost. If it's in an unconditioned space, it needs to be well insulated to prevent loss.

Hope this helps

Doug M.

Old 01-21-04, 05:06 PM
G
reply re: changing flex duct to hard duct

Hi,
Yes, I do have extra 6" hard duct lying around and a few 90 degree elbows......so it'll give me something to do this weekend.......it has got to increase efficiency/flow somewhat...anything I should know before I do it..Flex duct is attached by pull ties.
Also if I add another damper where should I put it. The present one is near the supply plenum....should I put one very close to that one, or place the extra one near the humidifier or in the middle of the 6" duct....I know it seems like alot of trouble and questions, but I have to keep busy on the weekends, and there just isn't anything more to paint.
Thanks,. George
a proud father of an honorably discharged Marine Sgt.