Aprilaire 700 Humidifier doesn't stop running

Old 01-20-04, 06:32 PM
interNate
Visiting Guest
Aprilaire 700 Humidifier doesn't stop running

I installed the Aprilaire 700 humidifier onto my furnace. To jump ahead I wrote Aprilaire and received a reply email stating the humidifeir should only run when the furnace blower is operating. Not with mine. It does turn on and off, just not when the furnace blower turns on and off. I'm guessing the humidifier is doing its own thing based on the low humidity levels it senses in the return air duct-not whether the furnace blower is operating. Everything seems to be wired correctly and is receiving the proper resistance/power.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-04, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How did you wire it to come on? It either needs a current sensing relay or it plugs into the terminal on you circuit board marked hum.

Old 01-21-04, 06:30 AM
interNate
Visiting Guest
Humidifier doesn't stop running

I wired it to the "R" and "C" posts on the furnace terminal. These match up nicel with the same "R" and "C" designation on the humidifier control. I don't see anything dmarked "hum".

Old 01-21-04, 06:54 AM
WHY

If I have this right you have it wired in right to the transformer.

The R is + and the C is - and I think that is why it is on. That wire to R now could go to the W and it would run only when the burner is on. You can set it up in 110V to come on when the blower comes on. need a relay for that ED

Old 01-21-04, 07:00 AM
That's why it runs all the time R&C on the terminal strip is 24v constant. You could run the hot from R but it needs to go through a current sensing relay hooked to the common on your blower then when the blower kicks on it will sense this and close the relay allowing the humidifier to come on. If your furnace has a circuit board on it there may be a small connection marked HUM. That's for the humidifier. This will be in a differant area than the terminal strip you're currently wired into.

Normally the humidifier will have its own transformer did yours not come with one?

Old 01-21-04, 12:53 PM
enigma-2
Visiting Guest
Re: WHY

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
If I have this right you have it wired in right to the transformer.

The R is + and the C is - and I think that is why it is on. ED

Aren't the R & C terminals AC? (Don't know, just asking.)

I found this thread interesting. I first installed my humidifier on my furnace around 1980. AS it ran all the time, the instructions stated I needed a sail switch, which is what I installed. I replaced the humidifier about 7-8 years ago, and used the same sail switch. (Humidifier is Sears best.)

(Doing this from memory) I believe in my case, the 120vac goes to the sail switch, then to the humidistat, and that feeds the humidifier.

My question is, where do you wire the humidifier to the furnace? Is this done at the humidistat?

There was nothing in the instructions on this, that I remember reading.

Old 01-21-04, 01:24 PM
You say you have the sail switch. You can get the power110 from anyplace and go to the humidistat then the sail switch then the humidifier. That way when the blower comes on the humidifier will turn on if the humidistat said so.

Some furnaces have a place to get the power for the humidifier now. But when you say R for red and C that 24 Volts and would make it run all the time

The R is+ power to the tstat W is the heat Y is the compressor and G is the fan.

The C- is at all of the relays and valves already.

Hope this helps
ED

Old 01-21-04, 03:46 PM
interNate
Visiting Guest
You mention connecting the humidifier to the burner (w), why can't I hook it to the fan (g)?

Old 01-21-04, 04:10 PM
you want the humidifier powered only when the fan and heat is on. r and w will bring it on before the fan comes on in heat, as there is a fan delay, and r and g will bring it on when fan on switch is on or cooling is on. get a model 50 relay, loop the heating speed wire through it and break the humidifier low volt circuit through it. power the humidifier from r and w, then it will only operate when humidistat calls, white calling for heat, and fan on.

Old 01-30-04, 08:32 PM
interNate
Visiting Guest
I now have my sensing relay

O.K. I have the sensing relay but am not to sure about the wiring. I have somewhat of an understanding of the low voltage terminals in my furnace but I'm still a little lost. The relay directions say to hook it to the common from the blower. Where is the common? I have romex from the low volt terminals to a connection box near the blower and then about 6 wires to the blower motor. If you understand at all what I am saying (I can't even understand myself), please give instructions on where the common can be found so and idiot ( because I am one) can find it. Thanks to all who have helped me through this project. Photo attached can kind of show you what I'm looking at.

Old 01-31-04, 05:37 AM
The common from the fan will be the white wire.

Old 01-31-04, 06:23 AM
interNate
Visiting Guest
I guess the white wire is my problem. There are quite a few white wires that are inside the furnace. I'll check the current with one and go from there.

Old 01-31-04, 06:31 AM
You only use the white wire coming directly from the blower motor.

Old 01-31-04, 07:47 AM
Dont know if this will help. Look there on the blower motor. It will have 3 wires going to it from its tie in box. Now one is the com- this you want. One is for slow for heat+ this is one you want for the humidifier also and the other wire is for high fan on and fan for cool. The relay you got, the coil in it is for 110V I hope . This can close R+ 24V to the humidifier that has com - there if its 24V or it can close + 110V to the humidifier also

Im lost here guys I think we have one for 110 V and one for 24V

So internate and Emigma-2 could you say just what volts you humidifier needs

ED

Old 01-31-04, 08:36 AM
interNate
Visiting Guest
I'm looking at 24v and I have 3 white wires to the motor.

Old 01-31-04, 08:50 AM
What voltage is the humidifier and what is the relay coils voltage.

ED