moving ductwork

Old 01-21-04, 12:34 PM
bg1229
Visiting Guest
moving ductwork

I'm just looking for a little reassurance so if this question has been covered elsewhere please accept my humble apologies I'm putting in sliders to the back of my 48 year old split level development house.below the window is the duct supply for the forced air heating.I'm all set to move the duct and need a little advice.I've decided to keep the duct in the wall rather then in the floor and am moving it over about 4'.I can keep my accoustic ceiling in the celler in tact and not disturb the floor joists if I use flex duct along and above the celler ceiling.So heres the question.I'll only have about 4.5 inches to work with.If I couple the 6" exsisting duct to 4" flex duct and run it to the new vent will this effect the heat elsewhere in the house? this replacement duct will terminate and does not supply to any other vents in the house,However I'm hoping the smaller diameter will provide additional displaced heat to some of the rooms.Hope I've explained myself Ok Thanks in advance for your input

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-04, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you mean to put the heat stack in a outside wall dont. We put like a 2 1/4X12" floor registers in the center of the sliders. you wont walk on it there and it gives better wall cover for the heat ED

Old 01-21-04, 02:02 PM
bg1229
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed,but let me see if I have this straight.The register I'm moving is below the current window.So it is between outside and inside walls.I would be moving it over about 4'.I do realize that the current duct is probably only about 12" between those walls.Would the additional length of flex duct loose that much heat?

Old 01-21-04, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why cant you say come off that floor boot and go right into that duct with a take off and patch that other hole in the duct?????Not the lost heat if I have it right its the 2- 90o L you will make to get there. ED

Old 01-21-04, 05:22 PM
bg1229
Visiting Guest
The register I'm removing is wall mounted beneath the window I'm removing.I don't want to tear up the cellar ceiling to access the floor above to put in a floor register.So thats why my plan is to cut the duct where it meets the wall in the cellar(cellar is framed and paneled)I've already made ez access there at the cellar window(the duct to be removed is above)I have enough room there to run 4" flex duct between the lip of the cinder block and the floor joists.It would "ride" slightly on top of the framing stud for the paneling.So I guess its 2 90[SIZE=1]o[/SIZE] L Let it be said that I am quite the novice here so I will without a doubt be reporting back.Then again if I take into consideration your signature ED,I'm sure to learn something

Old 02-04-04, 05:19 AM
bg1229
Visiting Guest
Thought I would report back.Although a little late .The job went well.Gotta admit,more work makin the 2 90[SIZE=1]o[/SIZE] bends though.But all in all I didn't have to mess up the cellar ceiling to access the ductwork.The only real issue i had was cutting back the sheet metal pipe.It became loose about 4' back.Guess they didn't bother to screw the pipe together when they put the ductwork in.The section was only duct taped together and after 48 years there,the duct tape looked like tissue paper .Anyway,we were able to get a flash light above and spotted the break while using a mirror.(great idea) gotta give credit to my friend Scott for that genious idea.Well we measured back to where we thought the break was, took down 1 ceiling panel and reconnected,screwed and taped the pipe back together.Alls well that ends well