9" b vent question

Old 01-22-04, 04:26 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Question 9" b vent question

Hi i have a propane dual fan forced unit. I bought venting for it. None of the vent seems to work. I measured 9 " cause 10'' or 8 '' doesnt fit on unit. Is there such a venting system? Where can i purchase this venting? It is a Reznor 300,000 btu unit. It has a red wire comming out from the inside of unit and it has a black wire comming from the one fan. I have it level hanging up with threaded rod. It has a coil to spark the flame. It has a black box where you can put the thermostat. There are two spots to put the thermostat in the clips and nnumbers shown. If someone can help me it would be appreciated. I have done 110 outlets and such just need some advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 07:29 AM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
did the unit come with instructions?
usually if you got it new it will come with directions on installation practices. These will tale you what size vent to use

good luck and becareful remember co can and will KILL!!

Old 01-23-04, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dont know for sure just what you have there. But Id go for the 10" B vent and get a 10"down to 9" reducer to fit the furnace. Like was said look at the papers that came with it

Old 01-24-04, 06:13 AM
what is the model #?

Old 01-24-04, 12:28 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
model # for propane unit

Model# XL3000-3 E. I have more info let me know what you need to know and thank you

Old 01-24-04, 12:44 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Its a propane dual fan forced unit

I can get 10" vent pipe. I am new learner here. What is the terminology of b vent? Where would i purchase or order a 10" reduced to 9 " vent that you mention. Sorry if i come off ****y i am trying to understand. Thank you very much for your time guys.

Old 01-24-04, 12:56 PM
B vent pipe is what is called and used for gas units to vent to the out side . It is a double wall metal pipe that will pass 1" from combustible Try a supply house by you ED

Old 01-24-04, 07:57 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
I don't have my books here, but bigger is not better when it comes to flue vents. You can use a piece of single wall for the transition. but the double wall pipe also keeps the flue gases hot enough to exit without getting condensation inside the pipe.

Can you provide the total flue height and any horizontal transition distance.

Old 01-26-04, 11:52 AM
binford
Visiting Guest
Here are some examples with a 2' lateral included. all for natural draft. (no fan in flue)
Again you would need to provide actual height and lateral length for proper info.

Flue height pipe size btu's
6' 8" 285k
10' 8" 355k
20' 8" 470k

Flue height pipe size btu's
6' 10" 455k
10' 10" 560k
20' 10" 755k

As you can see the higher the flue pipe the more the capacity.
if fact a 6" pipe going straight up 20' is rated at 307k. lateral offset changes the pipe capacity too.

here is a web page with the Gama tables

http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/shbook.pdf

Old 01-26-04, 01:49 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Question

what is a lateral and flue and the other terms you speak of. Thank you

Old 01-26-04, 01:51 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
in reply to nick name Hvac

Make Reznor,Model# XL3000-3 E. I have more info let me know what you need to know and thank you

Old 01-26-04, 02:26 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
A vent pipe is also called a flue pipe. A lateral is when the pipe is not going straight up but is going sideways. Sometimes you can't go straight up and the pipe goes sideways for a few feet this would be a lateral portion.

Old 01-26-04, 05:02 PM
hey jay, i have been all over the reznor website, cannot find XL model . is this a hanging heater, vented up through the roof?

Old 01-26-04, 06:23 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Question hey Hvac4u

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes i have it hanging from the celing with threaded rod. It does say on heater Reznor made in mercer Pa and it says ITT on it also. Here is the specs on it too:

Input 300000 btu/hr
thermo output capacity 231000 btu/hr
thermoefficiency 7%
minimum input (-2 model) 150000
normal manifold pressure 10.0 in.w.c
minimum gas supply oressure

115 v 1 ph . 60 hz max. total input 11.0 amps 4.6 watts
normal electrical power consumption 390 watts

It says it has a pilot solenoid valve spark ignitor and a main control valve intermittent pilot.

On the black box wiht all the wires going to it it says on the box with a yellow sticker no lp gas on.

Hope this helps and thank you for your time hope to hear back from you real soon

Old 01-26-04, 09:23 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Question reply to Hvac4u

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes i have it hanging from the celing with threaded rod. It does say on heater Reznor made in mercer Pa and it says ITT on it also. Here is the specs on it too:

Input 300000 btu/hr
thermo output capacity 231000 btu/hr
thermoefficiency 7%
minimum input (-2 model) 150000
normal manifold pressure 10.0 in.w.c
minimum gas supply oressure

115 v 1 ph . 60 hz max. total input 11.0 amps 4.6 watts
normal electrical power consumption 390 watts

It says it has a pilot solenoid valve spark ignitor and a main control valve intermittent pilot.

On the black box wiht all the wires going to it it says on the box with a yellow sticker no lp gas on.

Hope this helps and thank you for your time hope to hear back from you real soon

Old 01-27-04, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Moderator note:

Jay,

Please use the reply button to respond to posts on the same equipment.
It makes it easier for folks to follow.

Thanks

Old 01-27-04, 04:32 PM
Hvac4u If Im right he has a XL-300 thats the old #### new ### for it is F-300 Reznor with a OH 10" flue .Do you have a Lp tank big enough to supply this 300k unit? ED

Old 01-27-04, 04:39 PM
i think ed is right, lookin at a 10 inch flue, can use a single wall connector to the double wall, must maintain 6 inch clearance to combustibles, and depending on local code, 12 or so in. long at most.

does 10 inch singlewall pipe fit the opening?

Old 01-27-04, 10:51 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hey guys i found a good web site for those who have the same problem i have. Its a wiring diagram for all the reznor heaters. It has diagrams for all the old heaters and they are updating on the site for the new ones also but way more old ones. Im looking for mine the XL model on it i am having a problem at looking at ll the ones there are tons. I had a contractor come in my garage to look at heater he basically acknowledge my problem and then said what you guys said get a book through Reznor, then he can get it going. Well if i can find it on this website ill try to figure it out if i cant ill give the contractor a call and show him the wiring diagram for it. Keep up the good work guys i appreciate your input and this web site. The web site is
http://www.tnb.com/mpd/FAQs.htm

Old 02-05-04, 10:30 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
I have manual can anyone help ?

Hi guys the heater is discontinued. It was made in production in dec of 72 and discontinued in 1988. The book on the unit is discontinued as well. The internet site i posted in the last reply is wear i got all the info on the unit and i printed it all out the manual and the wiring diagrams to my unit. Now if anyone can help me about wiring the unit up. I have done wiring b4 in the past just not good at the blue printing stuff he he he. Thanks guys

Old 02-10-04, 07:21 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
Anyone there?

Just checking to see if anyone can help me about heater. Well anyway thank you guys for your help so far. I have electric diagram now too so im gonna take a stab at it.

Old 02-25-04, 06:37 PM
jay72chevy
Visiting Guest
I have a manual and electric diagram can anyone help me?

I have gotten to the bottom of my heater for my garage. I had a contractor look at it he told me what you guys said get a manual. So i got one it was on the internet and copied it all at the local library. So i have all the information on heater just need some input on this website you guys are awesome and thanks please someone reply back

Old 02-25-04, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
To sum it all up.

jay72chevy:

I'm very sorry but I've read this entire thread several times and am not sure exactly what you are asking.

Your original question was about vent sizes. You talk about wiring in your first post but I can't see a specific question about wiring.
Because we are not there it would be impossible to tell you which wire to put where.
If you are going to do anything with this yourself you will have to study the wiring diagram to be able to ask something specific.
It would be unsafe for us to try to tell you how to hook something up you don't understand.
All it would take is for a limit switch to be incorrectly wired for something disasterous to happen.

You were given some advice on the flue and was asked a question by hvac4u on the flue size but you did not respond.

This type of installation requires a permit and you would be well advised to contact your inspection authority for advice on how to proceed.
Besides, the person who pulled the gas permit is responsible for the complete installation so it would be a good idea to contact him.

This unit is quite large and would hope it has been sized correctly. 300 k btu where I am would likely heat a 40' x 100' insulated shop so where you are I'm sure it would do more.

Also, ED suggested you check that the size of tank you have will support a heater like yours.

I fully support folks doing things on their own but in a case like this I think it is in your beast interest to hire someione to be sure it is done right.