Furnace blows cold air

Old 01-23-04, 01:21 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Question Furnace blows cold air

I have a Rheem furnace.The pilot light is lit and the blower is functioning but it is blowing cold air. The burner is not igniting.Does anyone have any ideas? This gas with a digital thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the furnace model number? If it has a manual reset high limit control, that may be tripped. If not that, it sounds like a thermostat issue.

Old 01-23-04, 03:04 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Thank you for you response. The model # is RGDG-1008RJR

Old 01-23-04, 04:52 PM
I can't find a breakdown of that furnace. I hae a catalog but it is not complete/. Can you determine if it has a high limit with a manual reset? It would be inside the front of the furnace probably under a cover. If you have the papers that came with it, you may be able to look at the parts diagram and locate the switch that way. Have you tried turning off the power and turning it back on? That would reset any safety lockout on the control board.

Old 01-23-04, 05:07 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
reset

that would reset a reset relay but the manual lockout would still be tripped. Do you have a meter? Check the rollout switch.
this usually has a manual reset unless its the one with the fuseable link, in which case it needs to be replaced...
Is the air filter clean and belt tight (if it has one)?

Old 01-23-04, 06:43 PM
is that the one with the inducer motor and standing pilot with a funnel over the pilot? i agree, rollout may be tripped, need more info

Old 01-26-04, 12:38 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
Yes it is the one with the inducer. I disconnected the vacuum hose to the combustion chamber and blew/sucked into it. The motor of the combustion chamber is not turning. I can see the fan on it trying to move effortless. It is not stuck because i can move it but is does have a slight resistance.

Old 01-26-04, 03:29 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
no heat

try to spin the squirrel cage with a screw driver a little bit and see if it tries to run, if it does run, replace the motor and squirrel cage. With the unit off try to spin the squirrel cage... does it coast? If not, again...replace them both. If the combustion blower isn't working, you DON't want it to start. The best test for the motor is to see if it has line voltage to it....follow the wires to it, and see if it has line voltage. If it does, the motor is junk if its not spinning like crazy. The vacuum switch is a proving switch that the motor is running.

Old 01-27-04, 04:29 PM
trainer
Visiting Guest
I replaced the motor for the combustion chamber and that solved my problem. Thanks everyone