In-line fan to blower connection

Old 01-24-04, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In-line fan to blower connection

I recently installed an in-line duct fan and want to connect it to my furnance fan so that they start and stop together. I ran a 14g (40ft) wire to the furnace and have temporarily plugged it in. Of course, it runs all the time. I have a Carrier 58msa. Does anyone have an easy to read diagram that would show me where to connect the 2 wires to the blower so that they run together, regardless of the variable speed of the blower?

Thanks.

B

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-04, 06:05 AM
if that is a variable speed motor, it may run on dc voltage. i would use a model 50 relay that senses current when the motor is on, and use it to switch the fan on and off. may be a model 51, one is for low volt and one for line voltage....i think it is 51.

Old 01-24-04, 07:29 AM
You could look at the schematic there on the unit it will show you where you could wire it in with the blower. Good luck I have never found one of the inline fans that helped at all. ED

Old 01-24-04, 01:23 PM
hvac4u: It's not a variable speed motor and the instructions state that it can run on AC or from the furnace.

Ed Imeduc: My problem is that I've never read a schematic and wouldn't be sure as to the exact wire attachment. By-the-way, I was a real skeptic regarding the effectiveness of these fans. But I can tell you this, the fan I bought works surprisingly well. The room's temperature used to be 2 degrees C below the rest of the house and is now egual. The fan is 160CFM and is positioned in the basement about 50' before the room's heat register (2nd storey). I did change 12' of run in the basement to 5" thermal tubes (soft, silver color, like bubble wrap).

I starting to think of using this stuff on all the runs in the basement. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

B.

Old 01-24-04, 01:41 PM
Dont know Thermal Tubes have to look into that. Now flex duct do know and yes it will help keep the heat in.BUT just the drag with it will slow down the cfm of the air. You dont say how big the pipe is with the fan . But for 160cfm you need over a 7" pipe.

Now if you cant do the schematic. lets go like this. Go down to the blower motor. Power off look and see where the motor wires tie in and tie this fan right on the same wires that feed the blower. This will let it run at the same time as the blower. You dont say if you have AC so make sure you get the blower on for heat.
5" sounds snall for a heat run ED

Old 01-24-04, 03:21 PM
Ed Imeduc, thanks for the advice on the wiring. I'll try that and see what happens. The thermal stuff I was talking about maybe at this site:

http://ductinsulation.net/

By-the-way, 5" round ducting in my area is a standard. Don't forget the resistance in the metal pipes, especially the 90 degree joints really reduces the CFMs at the other end.

B.

Old 01-24-04, 05:27 PM
I guess its where you are at as how they do it. With no AC up there Id go for a slow air blow with 6 " pipe and large volume of warm air off the furnace to the rooms lots of runs. Over the years I have taken out more jet packs like with 3" 4" and 5" pipe. Even when you move warm air fast it feels cool over your skin.
Went to that www. Dont know how it would work in an attic for the AC or what the drag is. We think of a 90o L as just like 5' more of pipe on that run. Hope you get the blower wired in ok ED