Crown Molding and A/C Vents

Old 01-24-04, 09:15 PM
JeremyGood
Visiting Guest
Crown Molding and A/C Vents

I am installing crown molding in a bedroom and I need to figure out what to do about 2 air conditioning vents. The vents are only about 1 inch from the ceiling, and the molding is 3 1/2 inches. I thought the best approach would be to move the vents down by cutting out a few inches of the drywall beneath the current location. However, when I removed the front plate off the vent and inspected it, it appears to be a bigger job. Inside, there is a metal chute that comes down from the attic, and it doesn't appear that it is easily moved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi!

from a decorating point of view, i don't approve of cutting a big notch into crown molding, so i vote for moving the vent! therefore, i've moved your question to the Heating & Cooling forum so someone can help you do that!

thanks for your question & good luck!

Old 01-26-04, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First--- you dont say if they are cold air returns are heat runs outlets? Thats the first if. Then how or what goes to it in the attic?
If you can take off the supply in the attic. You can get a new wall stack and cap for it at home de pot or slowes. They come in like a 3 1/4"X 10"--12" or 14". Or plug it and put a new ceiling outlet register there right off the molding. From that supply pipe? ED

Old 01-26-04, 04:34 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
look for any nails or screws that might be holding the metal chute in place. also look or feel if the pipe connecting to it, is metal or flex plastic pipe. If it's metal you will need to add a section of pipe. If its flex pipe then you might be able to pull a few inches down. You might want to go into the attic and inspect there too. Worse case, cut big hole in your wall and move the vent.