Gas Logs

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-18-00, 05:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question

We've used our Gas fireplace logs for the last three years. This year when we turned them on they run fine for about 3 minutes and then shut off. Right before they shut off I hear a small click. What could be causing this?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-18-00, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

Sounds like there might be a limit switch, like an over limit , maybe the chimneyn is plugged with a birds nest?

Mr Foster
 
  #3  
Old 11-18-00, 09:05 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Post

Hi:Joetek1996

Mr. Foster is very correct regarding that safety switch.

If the fireplace unit is a self contained, out of the box fully manufactured type with glass doors, then it most likely has a safety switch element at the top of the vent.

Should to much heat be in the vent area, the safety switch will shut down the appliance. It may be the vent or roof cap that is restricted or plugged.

Other possiblities could be a weak pilot generator, poor connection in the wiring or on/off switch, gas valve, solenoid in the gas valve or simply a pilot that isn't hot enough do to lint or dust in it.

You may try contacting your local gas company and inquire about home applaince service. Some utilities offer this service.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes