Info on maintaining a boiler?

Old 11-18-00, 01:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Please help!! We moved into a house about a year and a half ago with a boiler/baseboard heating system but we have no information on how to maintain it!! I have searched the message board and found out that we need to bleed the air out of the pipes - but so far that is all the maintenence I know of. (I know that can't be the only thing to do!) It has become very loud this year.(water rushing through the pipes) And last year was virtually silent. My husband thinks we need to add water to the system but we don't even know how to do that! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-00, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
The Boiler,
Sounds like you are getting a lot of air in the system.
The boiler should be checked once a year by a heatingman who understands boilers. The pilot and burners need to be taken out and cleaned. A lot of the boilers have cleanouts on the top and sometimes there sides, The chimney needs to be checked. The heat exchanger needs to be brushed of loose dirt that could fall on the burners. Then it needs to be reassembled and the air to the burners adjusted. The pump oiled, the coupler checked, the pressure normally should be 12 psi, and the auto feeder should be TURNED OFF(according to the manufactor) it is used only when filling the boiler and if your venting air you use it. If the pressures are dropping below 12, you have a leak and need to get it repaired. If the pressures get to 30 psi the releif valve That needs to be tested anually should release the pressure. May need the compresion tank drained, or the pressure checked in extrol tank. Then the thermostat anticapator checked, the air vented from the baseboards with a key or a hose by the boiler.

I hope that gives you an idea.
You might just call that service man, if your neibor has a boiler and can recommend a good contractor, that what I would suggest.

Good Luck

Mr Foster