Basic Principles of Hydronic Heating

Old 01-26-04, 12:28 PM
adchrist
Visiting Guest
Post Basic Principles of Hydronic Heating

I have had hot water baseboard heat (gas fired) all my life. I have never really understood what all the different parts do & what the settings should be. Can anyone direct me to a "primer"? I would like to know when to adjust the temperature of the water, when to bleed any air, is my expansion tank doing its job, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
This post is a result of my house being 58F yesterday morning after -14F nighttime temps. It only got up into the 60s when I fired up my kerosene heater in a back part of the house. With 3 dogs, Kerosene is safe ONLY with CLOSE supervision! Thanks for the help!

Hydronic Newbie,

Allen

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What temp do you have on the boiler? Does the burner run all the time??? You get water out of all the bleeders???? INFO INFO
and we can help. ED

Old 01-26-04, 01:06 PM
adchrist
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb more system info

I have 100F on the boiler. Maybe 105F. Burner cycles on/off but, the pump runs constantly. Water comes out of bleeder. (only 1 upstairs) The expansion tank has what looks like a bicycle tire valve on top & bottom. Gently pressing the stem on top, water comes out. Shouldn't that be AIR?

Thanks for the help!
Al

Old 01-26-04, 01:22 PM
Yes for sure that should be air. You could try and pump some air in for now a little. You need a new one.Now the boiler should come on at 160o and go off at a 180o. Thats why you dont have heat now see if you can push up the control there. That is what turns the burner on and off.

The pump runs all the time . I think the way you are wired the tstat there turns the pump on for heat and the burner goes on and off from a control there on the boiler a aquastat find it and set it up.

get back to us ED

Old 01-26-04, 01:35 PM
adchrist
Visiting Guest
more info

The water temp is 115F not 105. Sometimes hard to read old gauges. This system is getting old. Thinking of having a tech come out & look over system. Temp controller is old, can't read #'s on scale. Controller seems to be "maxed out". hoppe this info gives a better picture of what's in my basement.

Thanks again,

Al

Old 01-26-04, 01:41 PM
Like I said the temp should get up to 180o the burner has to stay on till its there. I think you should get a tech out to look at it now. Also tell him the bladder tank is bad he could bring one with him. ED