Heating a basement

Old 01-27-04, 05:51 AM
janderson
Visiting Guest
Heating a basement

Hello,
I am in the process of finishing a basement and recently asked a plumber to come in to install baseboard heat (tap into existing gas system). Plumber told me that he thinks existing boiler (85,000 BTU's) is not big enough to support a 4th zone. Size of house is 2350 sq ft (two main floors not including basement).

Does this sound right? If so, any suggestions?

I was thinking of electric heat with electric baseboards. Or do you really think I need to put in a larger boiler?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It kinda sounds small, and not knowing where you are from. but I would run a heat lost/gain on the home, and see if you fall in the right BTU for the whole house.

You can download a program from http://www.hvaccomputer.com/main.asp and figure it out if you are undersized.

I would almost think you may get by with it if you zone each floor alone.. chance are having all 3 zone running at once is going to be rare.

Old 01-27-04, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As you have gas now Id stay with the gas . Not go with part electric and part gas .

I think its small also for the 2350sq ft .BUT if you dont run a heat loss You cant say for sure.
Get 3 bids on the job and make sure they do a heat loss on the home. ED