noisy cold air duct returns

Old 01-28-04, 06:08 AM
fleckinabox
Visiting Guest
Angry noisy cold air duct returns

Approximately four weeks ago, my husband installed an all-house humidifier. Approximately two weeks ago, we started hearing an annoying rattling hum from the cold air duct returns on the main and second floors. If we remove a filter (from either floor, it doesn't matter which) the rattling stops. Is this because of the humidifier? Is it because we are using the wrong type of filters (90-day types that filter just about everything under the sun)? We changed the filters when my husband installed the humidifier and last weekend so we believe they aren't dirty enough to be clogged. It is so disruptive that no one in the house can sleep without shutting their doors. And of course that does nothing for the daytime disturbance. Does anyone have suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of humidifier ???? bypass or what???? Did he make sure its all in right??? Hard water will jam the filters with lime and calcium. Try 2 new filters and see if it stops. ED

Old 01-28-04, 07:20 AM
Did he check to make sure there is no sheetmetal that may of fell off into the duct, or still hanging in there and the air flow cause it to make the noise?

The air filter shouldn't cause the problem.

When the system is running. just trace your way back to the source where the noise is coming from.. I take it this unit is in the attic??? (2-returns was my hint)

Old 01-28-04, 10:46 AM
fleckinabox
Visiting Guest
The house is 2400 sqft and nine years old. There has been no new construction on the house and we've been running the heat since late November.

The gas-fueled heater is a HEIL super high efficiency furnace 7000 and the humidifier is an Evenmist ThermoMist-2000. Everything is properly installed and located in the basement. The filters are one week old. Yes, we have hard water and the softener should be installed tomorrow.

However, when my husband was looking inside the air return ductwork, he saw that the paneling inside was bowed, approximately six feet up from the first floor air return and three feet down from the second floor air return. This doesn't look recent so should we expect this to be the culprit if we didn't have the noise before? When we do trace the noise, we end up in the same place, the filters. Primarily, the first floor one. I just can't let myself believe that the calcium and lime are the culprits after such a small amount of time. When we replaced the filters during the weekend, it was a fruitless effort. I suppose we'll find out if the softener does the trick.

Old 01-28-04, 03:42 PM
I went to the www there for that humidifier that you have. Im sorry to say Id take it out right now get it out of there. All it does to put water in the air is use like and old oil nozzle. I had one in my own home to try it ,years ago and took it out also I have taken every on that I have ran into out the people can stand the mess. all it does is spray water in the duct. That bow you said you saw in the cold air duct is from that ill bet. And on hard water it will spray out sideways after a while. if the cold air there is just drywall inside it Ill bet it is a mess. look in there and see. Also if you have seen past post about white power in the home from the humidifier this is why and what its from. Could be that when the air flow is different that the nozzle makes a different noise. If I have the right one that is putting into you home or duct work 0.65 gal of water an hour ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 01-28-04 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 04:35 PM
fleckinabox
Visiting Guest
Ok, my husband is uninstalling the all-house humidifier. The bow in the cold air return ductwork is only a bow and the ductwork isn't compromised, so we don't have to worry about molding drywall from the water. If this doesn't work, I'll post another notice to find out if there are other tips for us to try. Thank you.